well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Robert Kraft charged
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robert Kraft charged
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well-tempered gardener:
Interesting point about the driver.

So a cop can stop you just for the hell of it, even if you haven't done anything wrong related to driving the car? For some reason I thought there needed to be a "real" reason, like a burned out brake light or traffic violation.

They had a real reason. It just wasn't a traffic-related reason.

Imagine they had good reason to believe a suspected murderer was in the back seat. Do you think the traffic stop would be OK to check licenses?

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:

So a cop can stop you just for the hell of it, even if you haven't done anything wrong related to driving the car? For some reason I thought there needed to be a "real" reason, like a burned out brake light or traffic violation.

Yes, and no.

A cop can do anything. He could pull you over and demand that you perform oral sex on him. Illegal, but it happens.

Or a cop could pull you over by claiming you were speeding when you weren’t, just to check your identity. Violation of constitutional right against seizure, but it happens.

Or a cop could notice that the driver made a lane change without signaling and pull over the driver for that as a pretext for his real purpose, which is to check identity. Legal.

A cop can ask everyone in the car for ID, but they can refuse. But if he orders everyone out and makes them sit on the curb, they have to comply.

Traffic stops are complicated sometimes. I don’t know what happened here in that stop.

I would be gobsmacked if anyone who patronizes a business could be criminally liable for human trafficking absent some knowledge that this was happening.

And yes, some nail salon workers in NYC are working against their will or are trafficking victims, and they are underpaid and exploited.

I do my own nails for that reason now.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

Imagine they had good reason to believe a suspected murderer was in the back seat. Do you think the traffic stop would be OK to check licenses?
im not following you there.

Are you asking whether a cop can conduct a traffic stop if she suspects a passenger has committed a murder?

If the officer has probable cause to believe a felony has been committed, of course she can conduct a traffic stop (in this case, a special kind of stop called a felony stop). I mean, imagine a car full of men is going down the road and one of them shoots someone because of a gang Dispute. The officer does not have to follow the car forever waiting for the driver to commit a traffic offense.

Did I understand your question?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

im not following you there.

Are you asking whether a cop can conduct a traffic stop if she suspects a passenger has committed a murder?

If the officer has probable cause to believe a felony has been committed, of course she can conduct a traffic stop (in this case, a special kind of stop called a felony stop). I mean, imagine a car full of men is going down the road and one of them shoots someone because of a gang Dispute. The officer does not have to follow the car forever waiting for the driver to commit a traffic offense.

Did I understand your question?

The question was rhetorical. I thought it answered itself. I’m glad to see you arrived at the same conclusion.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
A different viewpoint with a couple of facts I hadn't seen elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02...ficking-media-missed

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
So the police fabricated a bomb threat to get access to install surveillance equipment?

I think that is brilliant.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
From an ESPN reporter:

quote:
Prosecutors just admitted at a hearing about the Robert Kraft video they will not charge anyone at Orchids of Asia with human trafficking. Prosecutor: "we have no evidence that there's human trafficking involved."

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post