well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    My job is weird. Input requested.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My job is weird. Input requested.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I know nothing about photography. Just popping in to say you’re gorgeous and amazing.

You should meet her in person. She is all of that and more.

And I got to marry her!

happydance

Posts: 45740 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
quote:
I know nothing about photography. Just popping in to say you’re gorgeous and amazing.

And I got to marry her!

happydance

only because I have a complication

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I think 12 is my favorite. Approachable, smart, slightly mysterious with all that black. The quality of the photo is great; nice exposure, crisp focus.

Nine is a great picture of you, but more for friends and family. No mystery there. And the focus is a little soft.

When I cropped/edited the first photos, I lost a lot of detail because of the amount of cropping I did.

I could go on and on to tell you why I like or don’t like each of the pictures, but that’s probably TMI! I spend a lot of time taking/looking at/editing photos for my knit product photography, so it’s part of what I do.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all. I'm really grateful for the kind words and the input on a decision that will have an impact on the next several years of my career. I think you can see by the second set of photos that your input on the first set was really, really helpful.

Here's what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm going to choose a half-dozen photos and send them to my publisher's publicist and some people in marketing. I'll send them to my editor, too. I'll ask them for input on both the photo quality and the poses. My new publisher does things differently, and they may well have a "story" they want to sue for promoting me and my work. (Mysterious, approachable, whatever...)

On Friday, I have the brief photo session with a pro photographer that I mentioned, so I'll probably be back here with proofs taken in a studio setting. If I like working with him, I may book an outdoor session with him since, for whatever reason, I think I look better outdoors and in natural light. And I think I just look happier in nature.

I'll pick my favorites and repost them in a single post so we can see them side-by-side, if y'all don't mind me taking up that much more bandwidth.

I really do appreciate the help with a task that's a bit nervewracking.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post

(This one needs cropping to be mostly face, and I have it in color around here somewhere.)

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

I love this, with the red. Just want to take some of the yellow out of the picture.

Too friendly. Need some mystery.

My favorite of the bunch. Kind of glam, kind of sass. You look smart and at ease with yourself.

(This one needs cropping to be mostly face, and I have it in color around here somewhere.)

Too much cleavange, and you look like you’re trying to please. Need more sass.

I don’t love your hair in this one; it’s tall because you’re looking down? Almost ‘80s Long Island Girl.

Just my humble opinion(s)!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I like all of the second set but prefer the color not the black and white.

9 and 12 stood out for me, if we are voting!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of piqaboo
posted Hide Post
3, 7, 10, 12

- Dont much like black and white
- Love your smile
- dont like the ones that make me think - what in tarnation is she looking at?
- some backgrounds distract (the rock wall)
- you look great!

OT's ball 'n chain

Posts: 2691 | Registered: 07 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
PS: You do look great!

Sometimes I get pretty task-oriented and just go for the info nugget that I want to convey. I should come up for air!

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Indeed she is.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:

I'm going to have to contend with a huge gray streak that wasn't there in 2009.

Very cool. Check out pictures of Bonnie Raitt.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t love your hair in this one; it’s tall because you’re looking down? Almost ‘80s Long Island Girl.

You can crop the top of the photo so that the hair isn't so tall. this is still my favorite, providing it is cropped so the viewer isn't distracted from your eyes.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Okay, I had the brief appointment with the pro photographer and the pictures were terrible. (As in they looked like me at this moment in time. Unlike these, quite frankly.)

My charming photographer was chatting up a semi-pro photographer in the bar last night who I suspect is more talented than the guy who took yesterday's head shots, but who is too busy raking in the dollars at a private equity firm to go full-time. She showed him my photos. (Egad. It's really not fun to be standing in a bar listening to people discuss your mumblety-something-year-old face.)

He said that they were very nice, but that a pro would have used a light box the size of Mars, because having light come from all directions shines light down into creases and makes them disappear. I said that I wanted to look like myself, and he said that his philosophy was that he wouldn't do things like erase a mole, but he'd take out a blemish in a heartbeat. And he would soften wrinkles and smile lines because people don't notice those in real life the way they do in a still shot.

He seemed to know his stuff and I tried to make an appointment but he's too busy being a capitalist.

Now I'm wondering what, exactly, is the difference between using a light box to erase my flaws and using Photoshop to do it? And also, I'm pretty sure Photoshop can give the illusion of depth of field in the background, which is one of the best things about my current photos.

The minor hurdle is that I don't know how to use Photoshop, but I have never lacked for intellectual arrogance. Maybe I can learn to use it, polish these up, and be done.

However, my publicist thought they were good enough to use and suggested I send them to my publisher's publicity people for feedback.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

You can crop the top of the photo so that the hair isn't so tall. this is still my favorite, providing it is cropped so the viewer isn't distracted from your eyes.

The publicist liked the one with the goofy hair, FWIW. He also liked the one in the black jacket that got a lot of votes.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
my publicist thought they were good enough to use and suggested I send them to my publisher's publicity people for feedback.

This. I think the photos you took in your second shot are really, really great.

Re photoshop, I have found those kinds of programs to be fairly easy to get into. If there's something you want to do but can't just google whatever it is plus "photoshop."

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post