well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Soundboard    Piano picture of the day
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 299
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano picture of the day
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
looks like it might be a little top-heavy..

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
In german it is called a "Giraffenflügel" (giraffe grand), is that the term which you know for this PSO as well? I really wonder if the small pot on the floor left of the piano is filled with water to keep the humidity constant... Big Grin

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Yes, a giraffe here as well.

How about this one? Notice the stringing, and the line of the hammers?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
Now this one looks really funny.

Ron, do you know anything about this piano, why it was constructed and what the intention of the manufactorer was? How does it sound?

On the first sight the design doesn't look too bad. One big bridge for all strings, no tenor break. One drawback would probably be the strange hammer line and action ratio problems throughout the scale.

Jens

Posts: 139 | Location: Leipzig, Germany | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Not only one big bridge, but a perfectly straight bridge....

A tech from Norway posted the picture. I haven't a clue how it sounds, I can't get to the site right now to see if there is any other info. The company name is Malmjo, or something like that.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's a Malmsjö, a swedish piano. The name is impressed in the plate, I only saw it after having a closer look.

Jens

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here's a look at the action stack from a smaller one of these:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Once you get over the strangeness of it, that's a very pretty harp. You know, plate.

Joe

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13770 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's quite beautiful, very sexy.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10558 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think that there were only a few made. They were called "banana" pianos.

Our next one holds the claim as the world's biggest piano. What if you wanted to build the best sounding UPRIGHT?

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
www.klavins-pianos.com

There's a free sample of the Busoni transcription of Bach's Chaconne in d-minor. You can hear that this piano has a very impressive sound, especially in the bass and tenor.

I like the Brahms transcription for the left hand much better, but that's a different subject.

Jens

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jens Schlosser:
I like the Brahms transcription for the left hand much better, but that's a different subject.

Jens

I much prefer the Busoni, but there is one advantage to the Brahms...i can play it. Big Grin

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Ron Tuner

I think the first pic shown is elegant.

I surely would like one that looked similar rather than a big black box staring at me whenever I walked into the room (as in old uprights and the newer ones even more)

Roberta

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
How about this one, it's kindof inbetween:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
This one is a little 'chunkier'

I like the elegance of the first one, but would like to update the fretwork!

WHERE the heck are you coming up with these Ron?

R-

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post