well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    WTF? A Cookbook!!!
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF? A Cookbook!!!
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Steve Miller's Mother's Breakfast dish a la Spice Islands

This recipe comes from a Spice Islands cookbook dated 1961...

3 slices bacon
2T Instant Minced Onion (Mom noted "1/2 c fresh")
2T water
1t parsley
1/2 t salt
1/8 t Spice Parisienne (doubling it doesn't hurt)
4 eggs
1/8 t fine grind black pepper
1/2 c shredded swiss cheese

Cut bacon into pieces with kitchen scissors. Fry until brown, but not crisp. Pour off all but 1T of fat. Meanwhile, rehydrate onions in water. Add to bacon along with parsley and saute until onions are browned. Season with 1/4 t salt and Spice Parisienne. Spread out evenly in frying pan. Break eggs into pan. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook slowly until eggs are set and cheese is melted. serve at once. Makes 2 servings.

Sandy and I go a bit simpler... and with more abundance! No recipe needed, really. Just fry bacon and onions, put eggs in , season, cover with cheese, cover and cook... or more specifically:

1/2 # of bacon
1/2 an onion chopped
fry together. Drain some fat off, if desired.
spread out and make wells...as many as you want eggs.
6- 8 eggs
put eggs in wells
sprinkle with Beau Monde ( yes, they still make it. I think Mom did not have the Spice Parisienne on hand)
1 c shredded american cheese ( Mom's thing)
Sprinkle with cheese.
Cover and cook untill eggs are set... 4 - 6 minutes for soft eggs.
Serve at once.

Remember, they are a spice company and use as many of their products as possible. Mom simplified it...
Enjoy!

Mom left the pepper out - she hated pepper. I'd probably double the amount called for.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Slow Cooker Chicken Mole

We've been experimenting a lot with the slow cooker this year, and this is one of my favorites so far. Adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped (lazy cooks can substitute equivalent chopped frozen onion)
1/2 cup raisins
3 cloves garlic, chopped (I actually used 3 tsp jarred minced garlic)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 small can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (I didn't see that it was supposed to be chopped and actually cooked the chiles whole--the immersion blender chopped it up nicely--some commenters on allrecipes think this is too spicy and just use one chile, but we liked it with more punch)
scant 3 tablespoons old fashioned peanut butter
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I substituted 2 14 oz cans of diced tomatoes)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 whole roasting chicken

Directions

Place onion, raisins, garlic, sesame seeds, chipotle pepper, peanut butter and crushed tomatoes in large slow cooker. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, and cocoa powder. Place chicken breast side down on top of, not covered by, the other ingredients.

Cover; cook on high until chicken is done (use a meat thermometer) and tender, about 4-5 hours.

Remove chicken gently from slow cooker, trying not to lose the bones.

Use an immersion blender to make the sauce smooth and creamy.

If the chicken is done enough you can basically peel off the skin and then carve it with a soup spoon. Put the meat back in the pot in large pieces without the bones and without the skin. Let it simmer while you make a pot of rice. Or shred it, add it back to the sauce and use for tacos.

It tastes even better the next day.

You may have more sauce than you need for the chicken. You can freeze it for the next time to put over leftover chicken. Or at this time of year, it would be good on leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
RED LENTIL DAL WITH AROMATICS
(Cindy simplified version)

1 c. lentils
1 large onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
Olive oil
1 tsp or more turmeric
1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk minus cream (or low-fat version)
3 shallots, sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 bay leaves
1 tsp or more mustard seeds

Wash lentils. Saute onions, garlic, jalapeno in some olive oil for one minute. Add turmeric, lentils and about 2 c. water. Boil, then lower heat and simmer covered until lentils are soft, maybe 30 minutes. (Add more water if you need it -- the recipe calls for 3 cups but that is way too much).

Add coconut milk and simmer 5 minutes. Correct for salt.

Heat some olive oil in small skillet over high heat. Add shallots, red chile, bay and mustard seeds. Fry until mustard seeds begin to turn gray. Stir mixture into lentils and serve over rice.

[As with all vegetarian recipes, be prepared to increase the spices. Also, this recipe tastes like newspaper until you add the salt, so don't freak out. And don't oversalt!]

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Cream of Leek and Mushroom Soup from More Fast Food My Way by Jacques Pepin.

I was extra lazy, so I used frozen leeks and low sodium chicken broth from Trader Joe's (could use a veggie broth for our vegetarian friends). With a crusty bread and salad, a really nice lunch or light supper. The potato flake thickener is inspired. There aren't a lot of mushrooms in the soup but they impart a very nice mushroomy flavor.

Cream of Leek and Mushroom Soup (4 servings - about 6 cups)

2 medium leeks
6 white mushrooms
2 tbsps peanut oil
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water (I used 4 cups of stock instead of half water/half stock)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1 1/2 cups whole milk, plus more if needed
Sprigs fresh chervil, for garnish (I used dried tarragon added towards the end)

Remove and discard most of the green outside leaves from the leeks, reserving the light green leaves from the center. Cut the leeks lengthwise into fourths and wash the leaves thoroughly under cool water to remove any dirt or sand. Slice thinly. You should have about 2 cups.

Wash the mushrooms. Slice them, stack the slices and either cut them into thin strips or chop them coarsely.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook, or "sweat", the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock, water, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle the potato flakes on top and mix them in with a whisk to prevent lumping. Bring to a boil. (The soup can be made to this point a few hours ahead. It will thicken a lot as it sits.)

At serving time, add the milk and return to a boil. If the soup is still too thick, stir in enough additional milk to thin it to your liking. Garnish with chervil sprigs and serve.

Posts: 37893 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I just blogged this:

Caprese Cannellini Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I used half regular and half white balsamic, but either is fine)
12 oz farfalle pasta, cooked al dente and cooled
8 ounces fresh Ciliegine (cherry size) mozzarella balls, cut into quarters
5 Roma tomatoes, cut into chunks, or 1 10 oz package cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15 oz can cannellini, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

In a large bowl combine pasta, mozzarella, tomatoes, beans, and basil. Drizzle with about half dressing and gently toss until thoroughly combined. Adjust seasonings as desired. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving toss with a little more dressing to refresh. Enjoy!

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ATK Matzo Ball Soup

It is important to let the matzo mixture sit for 1 hour. If you try to form the balls without sufficient resting time, they will not hold their shape when cooked. Also, be gentle when shaping the balls; too much pressure will yield dense, rock-like matzo balls.

4 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken fat or vegetable oil
(WTG note: I always use the chicken fat, which I buy from a meat market that sells it frozen. sometimes my local upscale grocery carries it during the Jewish holidays, but not the rest of the year.)
(ATK note: For maximum flavor, we recommend making the matzo balls with chicken fat. When you make the chicken broth for this recipe, skim off some chicken fat and set it aside to cool. If you choose not to use chicken fat, vegetable oil will work fine, but the mb won't be as flavorful.)

1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch pepper

2/3 cup matzo meal (I use Manischewitz or Streit's. I prefer Manischewitz because it comes in a round container with a lid. I couldn't figure out how to open the d@mn box of Streit's and end up ripping it apart, a problem I posted about several years ago)

1 recipe Chicken Broth - 2 1/2 quarts plus 3 cups chicken meat (I make this soup with an ATK Turkey Broth that I whip up using the Thanksgiving carcass. I'll post that recipe and the ATK Chicken Broth recipe if anyone is interested.)

1. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form, and set aside. Whisk the yolks, chicken fat, salt and pepper together in a small bowl until smooth. Fold the yolks into the whites using a rubber spatula. Fold in the matzo meal. Cover the mixture tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Bring broth to a simmer in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Use wet hands to roll 2 tablespoons of the matzo mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls, then drop them immediately into the simmering broth. (WTG note: I use my large OXO cookie dough scooper. It looks like a little ice cream scoop. It measures 2 tbsps and gives uniform mbs.) Cover the pot and simmer until the matzo balls have doubled in size, 20 to 25 minutes.

WTG note: If you have leftover soup and put it away in the frig overnight, you'll be amazed at how these puppies suck up most of the broth.

Chicken Broth from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

Makes 2 1/2 quarts broth and 3 cups meat
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes (includes 40 minutes simmering time)

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 pounds chicken legs, cut into 2-inch chunks
1 onion, chopped medium
2 quarts water
2 teaspoons salt
2 bay leaves

1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until smoking. Brown half of the chicken on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining chicken and transfer to the bowl. Pour off the fat from the pot. Return all the chicken to the pot and stir in the onion. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the chicken releases its juices, about 20 minutes.

2. Stir in the water, salt, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the broth is rich and flavorful, about 20 minutes.

3. Strain the broth into a large container, and let stand for 10 minutes before skimming the fat. Remove the meat from the bones and reserve separately.

I make Turkey Broth whenever we have a roasted turkey. It's super easy. I'm including the recipe here in case you want to save the stuff from your Thanksgiving turkey, if you have one. You can always freeze the carcass if you don't want to cook it right away. Our family doesn't usually eat the wings, so those can go in the soup. There's no pre-browning of the turkey for the broth, because the bird has already been roasted. I think ATK assumes you've brined the bird because they don't add any salt to the pot.

It's important to always have the broth barely at the simmer rather than at a rolling boil. ATK had that tip in the cookbook, along with the admonition to skim at the beginning when the foam rises, rather than when the broth is finished. A rolling boil causes the fat droplets to get more finely dispersed in the soup, making for a greasy broth.

Turkey Broth

Makes about 3 quarts
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes (including 2 hours simmer time)

It may seem self-evident, but it is certainly true that a turkey carcass with some meat still attached to the bones makes a more flavorful broth than one that's been picked clean.

1 turkey carcass, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
1 onion, chopped coarse
1 carrot, peeled and chopped coarse
1 rib celery, chopped coarse
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
3 quarts water

Bring all of the ingredients to a simmer in a large stockpot and cook for 2 hours, skimming off any fat or foam that rises to the surface. Strain the broth through a large mesh strainer into a large container, removing any fat that rises to the surface as it cools.

Turkey Noodle Soup

Serves 8 to 10
Total time 35 minutes plus time to make the turkey broth

1 recipe Turkey Broth
1 onion, minced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 rib celery, sliced thin
Salt
8 ounces wide egg noodles (I just end up making the matzo balls and using them in this recipe in lieu of noodles. I cook the matzo balls for about 15 minutes, then add the veggies in step one for an additional 10 minute cook time)
2 cups cooked turkey meat, shredded
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1. Bring the broth to a simmer in large stockpot. Add the onion, carrots, celery and 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

2. Add the noodles and turkey meat and continue to simmer until the noodles are just tender, about 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Posts: 37893 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Piano Again
posted Hide Post
Cold-Curing Squash + Ginger Soup

I was fighting off a cold, and after eating this soup I felt much better. Mr. PA bought some roasted butternut squash from WF for a party and ended up bringing a few cups of it home, which inspired me to concoct this:

~3 T vegetable oil
1 chopped onion
1 diced sweet potato
1 large diced carrot
~2 c roasted butternut squash (I'm sure you could use raw chunks and it would work fine -- this stuff had a little cinnamon and oil on it)
~3 T grated ginger
6 cups water
1 tsp salt (or to taste)

In a large pot, sautee the onion in the oil until it is soft. Add the vegetables, ginger, and water, bring to boil, and reduce heat to a simmer for about an hour or until the vegetables are very soft. Puree (I do this in the pot with a stick blender attachment). Add salt to taste.

This had a very strong ginger effect, spicy and maybe too medicinal for some, but I liked it. It tasted even better the next day.

Posts: 3833 | Registered: 26 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
RUM SQUASH PIE

I made this one year, and as a result everybody wants it EVERY year. I'll make it again next week.

from "The Tuesday Magazine Soul Food Cookbook," 1969.

Rum Squash Pie
(for 1 9-in. pie)

1 1/2 c. winter squash
1 cup sugar, scant
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 c. heavy cream
3 eggs
2 tbsp. rum
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. allspice
Pastry for 1-crust 9-inch pie

Pare and dice the squash. Cook it in a little water until soft (about 30 min.) Drain well and mash. Drain again if necessary. Measure 1 1/2 cups. Add the sugars and cream to the squash, and beat well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. (Reserve a little egg white for brushing the pastry.) Stir in the run, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, cloves, and allspice. Mix well.

Preheat the oven to 450. Line a pie plate with pastry, building up the edge (see recipe for Pastry). Brush the pastry with egg white. Pour in the squash mixture, and bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Lower the heat to 300, and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm.

PERSONAL NOTE: These days I pre-bake the whole squash, cut in half and cleaned out, in the oven till soft. Much easier than chopping it up and boiling and draining.

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
Would it be just as good with canned squash? I found that to be true for pumpkin pie.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
[from RealPlayer]
OK, this fairly simple recipe remains a HUGE hit in this household. Ingredients seem unlikely, but you really need to try it.

Notes: Olives are best if you get them at an Italian or Greek deli, although the canned variety work fine. And we have always used gruyere, no other type of cheese.

It's just delectable, and it requires forbearance to avoid stuffing your face until it's all gone.

From THE TASSAJARA RECIPE BOOK, 1985.

Chinese Cabbage Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette

For the salad:
1 small or 1/2 large Chinese cabbage (I believe they mean the Nappa variety)
1 to 1-1/2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated, or Monterey Jack, Gouda, or Edam
1/2 to 3/4 cup black olives, sliced

For the dressing:
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
5/8 cup olive oil

Slice the cabbage into quarters and then into thin strips crosswise or at an angle crosswise.

Mix the cabbage with the grated cheese and sliced olives.

For the dressing, mix the vinegar together with the salt and garlic, then gradually whisk in the olive oil.

Toss the salad with the dressing. Depending on the amount of cabbage you use, you may not need all the dressing.

Taste for salt.

[Thread title credit: jon-nyc]

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Spinach Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Spiced Chickpeas

Yield 4 servings

Time 1 hour
Ingredients

1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 large sweet potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium carrots (1/2 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more as needed
Black pepper, as needed
2 thyme sprigs
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
5 ounces spinach (6 cups)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallot

Method

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a clean dishtowel or several layers of paper towels and spread drained chickpeas evenly on top. Pat dry with another dishtowel or paper towels.
2. Toss sweet potato and carrots with 2 tablespoons oil and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet and top with thyme sprigs. Roast, tossing occasionally, until golden-brown and very tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
3. While vegetables are roasting, toss chickpeas with 2 tablespoons oil, chili powder, cumin and a large pinch of salt. Spread on another rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to the oven 10 minutes after you’ve put in the potatoes and carrots; roast until crisp and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Using the flat side of a knife or a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic with a large pinch of salt until it forms a paste. Add it to a small bowl and whisk in yogurt and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) oil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a large bowl, combine spinach, roasted vegetables, chickpeas and shallot. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat vegetables and greens and serve at once.

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
I appreciate looking up shared recipes. Thanks.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Here's a hearty autumn vegetarian stew with Indian overtones. It's my adaptation of a recipe from a magazine I picked up in a health food store years ago. It does have diced tomatoes in it, but it isn't a tomato-y sauce.

WTG's Hearty Autumn Vegetable Stew

1 tbsp oil
1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 Serrano or jalapeno or Thai chili peppers, seeded and diced (optional, but nice to add if you like heat. Could probably use some cayenne in a pinch if you don't have fresh peppers)
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced (I've used 1/4 tsp powdered when I was out of fresh. Seems to work OK)
2 tsps garam masala
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 cups light chicken or vegetable stock
2-3 tablespoons finely shredded coconut (optional, but it does add a nice "something" that is hard to pin down)
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
4 cups peeled diced sweet potatoes (1/2" dice)
2 cups cooked black beans
2 cups kale or spinach, chopped

1. Heat oil in large saucepan or dutch oven. Add onions, garlic and optional peppers with garam masala, cumin, cinnamon, salt, turmeric and coriander and saute for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add stock, tomatoes and sweet potatoes, cooking until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Mix in spinach or kale and black beans. Continue to cook until greens are tender, about 10 more minutes. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.

3. Serve over hot basmati rice.

The original recipe called for adding fresh mint at the end, and it used pumpkin instead of sweet potatoes. Also used black-eyed peas instead of black beans. And it had you using a blender to puree the onions, peppers and garlic with the coconut and herbs (moistened with a few tablespoons of broth). I've done it that way, but I hate hauling out the blender for that step so I usually just saute everything as is.

By changing up the spices and the legume, I think this could be the base for a bunch of different stews. Maybe Mexican with a chili powder spice mix and pinto beans, and Mexican style rice on the side. Or Italian herbs with garbanzo beans over a risotto.

I cheat and use the canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh, and I also use canned beans rather than cooking them from scratch. All makes for a meal that can be prepared pretty quickly.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Granola - hat tip to my old high school chum Nan Smiler

Granola Recipe

Ingredients:

1 2lb bag or rolled oats (NOT quick cooking oats, I use the bags from Trader Joe’s)
1/4 tsp ginger
¼ tsp cardamom
a few grates of nutmeg (or more if you like it)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar (you can add liquid stevia or agave nectar to
the coconut later if you wish)
½ cup coconut oil, melted (available also at Trader Joe’s)
1 tsp vanilla (or more if you like it)
1 cup chopped nuts (any kind)
1 cup unsweetened coconut (I like the big flaky kind)
1 cup (at least) dried fruit (I use wild dried blueberries from Trader Joe’s and I use 1 bag per pan so you would buy 2 bags)

Preheat your oven to 375˚

In a large mixing bowl, mix the oats, spices, salt and sugar well.

Melt the coconut oil and whisk in the vanilla (and liquid sweetener if you wish). Pour over the oats while stirring to cover evenly and then toss to make sure that everything is incorporated well and that the oats are all covered.

Divide the oats into 2 sheet pans and spread out evenly. Put one in the top rack of the oven and the other in the bottom rack. Bake for 8 minutes.

Remove from the oven, stir the oats turning everything, put the bottom on the top rack and the top on the bottom rack and bake 5 minutes.

Remove both sheet pans, equally distribute the nuts into both pans, stir well to turn everything over, and put back into the oven, switching racks, for 5 minutes.

Remove pans, equally distribute the coconut, turn everything well and switch rack, baking for the last 5 minutes.

Remove from the oven to a cool place, add the dried fruit, mix everything turning it all over and allow to cool.

Makes about 2 gallon sized ziplocks full.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
NYT's Biscuits/Scones via Quirt

Southern biscuits and British scones can seem intimidating: both have the kind of mystique that can discourage home bakers. But the point of them is to be truly quick and easy — unlike yeast-raised bread and rolls, they are thrown together just before a meal and served hot, crisp on the outside and soft in the center. And what's more, they are essentially the same recipe: all that separates them is a bit of sugar and an egg.

The genius of this particular recipe is not in the ingredients, but in the geometry. Slicing a rolled-out slab of dough into squares or rectangles is infinitely simpler than cutting out rounds -- and there's less chance of toughening the dough by re-rolling it and adding more flour. The recipe immediately below makes biscuits, and the notes at the bottom of the recipe have instructions for altering the dough to make scones.

INGREDIENTS

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons melted butter
PREPARATION

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or baking mat, or use a nonstick pan.
Toss dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, rub butter and flour mixture together just until butter pieces are the size of peas and covered with flour. Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in cream. Mix ingredients together by hand until a shaggy dough is formed. (The mixture may seem drier than typical biscuit dough.)
Turn out onto a floured surface and gently knead dough together just until smooth and all ingredients are incorporated.
Pat dough into a 3/4- to 1-inch-thick rough rectangle shape. Use your hands if you like a nice bumpy top; for smooth tops, use a rolling pin, pressing lightly. Using a sharp knife or dough scraper, cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then cut across into 8 or 12 rectangles or squares. Place them on the baking sheet, spaced out.
Brush tops with melted butter. Bake until light golden brown, about 22 minutes; rotate the pan front to back halfway through. Let cool slightly on the baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature. Eat within 24 hours.
YIELD 8 to 12 biscuits or scones
NOTETo make scones, omit the salt and add 2 tablespoons sugar to the dry ingredients. With the cream, add one lightly beaten egg. Omit the melted butter; instead, brush tops with egg wash (2 eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water). Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
NOTETo make orange-currant scones, make changes above for scones. Additionally, mix freshly grated zest of 1 orange or tangerine with the dry ingredients. When mixing or kneading the dough, add 1 cup currants and knead just until incorporated.

http://www.nytimes.com/recipes...click&WT.mc_c=241048