well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    WTF? A Cookbook!!!
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF? A Cookbook!!!
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Susan Dorris' green chile

Originally posted by susan dorris:

Here's my recipe for green chili:

1 4-pound boneless pork roast, trimmed of some of the fat and diced into 1" pieces.
2 large yellow onions
2 large cans of stewed or diced tomatoes - I use home-canned.
Green chilies: use fresh-roasted Hatch's if you live somewhere you can get them. (They can be frozen)or else use 2 large cans - the size of the large cans of tomatoes. Check out a Mexican market, your grocery store will probably have the large size only if you live in the southwest.
1 or more fresh jalapenos, diced very small. Use plastic gloves for this and throw the gloves away afterward.
Salt to taste
Pressed garlic to taste
Epazote and Mexican Oregano to taste.

Brown pork pieces in a heavy skillet, don't do too many at a time or they won't brown. Saute chopped onions in same skillet. Place pork and onions in a large soup pot and add tomatoes and chilies. Simmer, covered, for an hour, then add salt, garlic, and herbs. Simmer until pork begins to shred, perhaps another hour. Serve.

Great stand-alone or served over enchiladas or eggs.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Susan Dorris' Gallo Pinto

GALLO PINTO (means spotted rooster)

Costa Rican, not Mexican, but I fix it a lot more often than anything else.

Cook up a pound of black beans, or use three cans. (Try the Scotch Bonnet pepper in the cooking water, if you like HOT)

In a separate pan or a rice cooker:
Cook 1 cup dry rice (I use brown, but white is traditional.) in 2 1/4 cups water.

In a heavy skillet, saute a diced onion and a diced green pepper in olive or cooking oil. (Or any color or heat of pepper you like) Add about a cup or more of chopped fresh cilantro when onions and peppers are tender.

Add the hot rice and the hot beans in roughly equal amounts to your skillet and stir. If you are using canned beans, drain them and add them to the skillet first, stir until evenly hot.

Serve with your favorite salsa. The Gallo Pinto can be eaten as is, or wrapped in a tortilla, or sandwiched between two tortillas (with cheese) in a quesadilla. Any leftover rice and beans can be added to the skillet after you have eaten enough to make room. This keeps well in the fridge, sometimes I eat it for lunch for days in a row.

Incidentally, Muenster is the cheese most like traditional Mexican cheese, for those who don't live in the southwest. And even for those who do.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
This evening's experiment! I like it better than last night's attempt.

My first batch just swapped ginger for my usual chocolate chips, but it lacked…something. So I added a little more butter and sugar, substituted half and half for my usual skim milk, and used half chocolate chips and half ginger. A winner!

Ginger Chocolate Scones

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

2 cups flour (not whole wheat; I used unbleached white)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (not soda)
1/2 tsp salt

5 Tbsp butter

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup preserved ginger candy, chopped (it’s sweet; I bought it at the Asian market in the snack aisle)

1/2 cup half and half (just barely, or it will be too wet)
1 egg, scrambled

1 Tablespoon chunky turbinado sugar (optional, but pretty)

Combine dry ingredients and stir. Cut the butter into pieces and then blend them into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. Stir in chocolate chips and ginger. Scramble the egg into the half and half, and then pour it into the flour mixture. Stir until blended, then knead on floured surface about 10 times. Form two balls with the dough. Pat out balls into circles about 7 inches in diameter, slightly mounded in center. Cut each circle into eight pieces. Brush tops with half and half (I just used what was left in the measuring cup); sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and let rise for 10 minutes. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just golden. Cool on rack. EAT! To reheat, warm in toaster oven on lowest setting.

Makes 16 dainty scones.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Cindy's Bourbon Cranberry Sauce

Bourbon Cranberry Sauce

1 pound fresh cranberries
2 cups sugar [I prefer 1.5]
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup bourbon

Mix cranberries, sugar and cinnamon in bowl. Transfer to 9x13 baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Stir, bake another 30 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to bowl and stir in bourbon immediately. Refrigerate.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
From well-tempered gardener:

Baked Seafood, Orzo, and Feta Cheese Casserole

1 T vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, choppped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large can (28 ozs) tomatoes, chopped, juice from can included
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup orzo
1 pound halibut, cut into bite-sized pieces
3/4 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 T chopped parsley
4 ozs feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a Dutch oven, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, seasonings and orzo. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.

Fold in halibut and shrimp and bake, covered, until halibut is white and shrimp is pink, about 15 minutes. Stir in parsley and cheese and bake, uncovered, until bubbly, about 10 minutes longer.

from Maryana Vollstedt's The Big Book of Casseroles. (great book if you like casseroles!)

I used bay scallops instead of halibut; it's not halibut season and there was no frozen halibut at Trader Joe's. The casserole was good, but it was a bit soupy when it was done. I cooked another 1/2 cup of orzo and mixed it in. I also think it would be a little more interesting with 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes mixed into the sauce, some artichoke hearts, and maybe even some capers. Just for fun.

Enjoy!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
White Gull Inn's Hot Fudge Sauce. It's a B&B located in Fish Creek, Wisconsin.

1 ounce powdered baker's cocoa
1/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
10 ounces bittersweet chocolate (melted)

In small bowl, stir water and cocoa together until smooth. In food processor, or high speed of traditional mixer, combine remaining ingredients. Add dissolved cocoa and blend for at least one full minute until very smooth texture is achieved. Yield: 3 cups.

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
MacDowell Lamb Stew (from pique)

Serves Six

Active Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, ten minutes

4 lbs. butterflied boneless leg of lamb, fat trimmed and discarded, cut into 1-inch cubes (OR 3 lbs lamb stew meat)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 TB olive oil, divided

2 medium onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

6 c. water (i used 5 c. plus 1 c. lamb broth left from searing the meat, but i think 5 c. liquid total might be a better amount)

1 c. pitted prunes

4 carrots, peeled and sliced (i used 6 carrots and didn't peel them)

2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks (i used 1.5 lbs baby new potatoes and didn't peel them)

1 bunch of swiss chard or rainbow chard, stalks removed, chopped into small pieces (i used some of the stalks)

my additions (i never stick to recipes):

1/4 c. red wine

1 small box white mushrooms sliced (the cook at macdowell did this, too--it is her sister's recipe)

3 whole tomatoes (these were from our garden, frozen. you could use canned whole tomatoes and their juice.)

1/4 c. Bragg's Liquid Aminos

Step 1.
dry lamb with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper. in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat 1 TB olive oil over medium-high heat. brown the lamb on all sides, in batches if necessary to avoid overcrowding. remove from pan and set aside.

Step 2.
Pour off any fat (i didn't have any fat--it was all broth. i poured it out to save for adding with the water), and add remaining 1 TB of oil to the pan. saute onions until translucent. add garlic and cook another 30 seconds (???) (Then I added mushrooms, to saute with onions and garlic.)
Add water/broth, prunes, and lamb and bring to a boil. skim away any foam.
Cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes and continue to simmer another 45 minutes, until lamb is fork tender--a total of 90 minutes. Prunes will melt into sauce and thicken it. (You can pre-cook the carrots and potatoes if you are short on time, but you do need a long simmer to melt the prunes.)

Step 3.
About ten minutes before serving, mix in the swiss chard, cover, and simmer on medium-high for ten minutes. Adjust seasonings with additional salt and pepper as needed.
(Here is where I added the red wine, tomatoes, and liquid aminos.)

this is stunningly good! you can also make it with 2 TB curry powder but the cook at the colony left that out and so did i. you add it when you add the garlic.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Middle Eastern Lamb Slow Cooker Soup from AdagioM

POINTS® value | 6
Servings | 4
Preparation Time | 20 min
Cooking Time | 480 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

soups | Looking for something more exotic? Add a pinch of saffron threads, available in gourmet food stores and some supermarkets, to tint this stew gold.

Ingredients
• 1 pound lean leg of lamb, stew meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1/2 cup canned beef broth
• 1 large onion(s), chopped
• 1 large garlic clove(s), minced
• 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
• 15 oz canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 tsp ginger root, freshly grated
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp table salt
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Instructions
• Place lamb in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, except lemon juice; stir well. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 8 hours.
• Stir in lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes for flavors to blend. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving. (Note: Serve this stew in bowls.)

"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
In the slow cooker as we speak.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr WTG and I were watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network, and this dish was featured. I haven't made the recipe, but wanted to capture it while I remember. It sounded fabulous, though one should note the last sentence about the recipe being scaled down from a restaurant-sized recipe:

Polenta ai Funghi Porcini

Recipe courtesy Chef Luca Citti at Caf� Citti in Kenwood, CA.

Prep Time:
30 min
Inactive Prep Time:
1 hr 30 min
Cook Time:
1 hr 0 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients
Polenta:

* 8 cups water
* 1 tablespoon coarse salt
* 2 1/2 cups coarsely ground polenta flour
* 4 ounces butter
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
* 1 quart canola oil, for frying

Sauce:

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
* 1/2 cup small diced fresh porcini mushrooms
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup dry Marsala wine
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
* 2 cups heavy cream
* Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish

Directions

Polenta:

Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large heavy stockpot. Let it boil for 2 minutes, then remove the pot from heat and add polenta flour by the handful, beating constantly. Continue to add the flour slowly, controlling the flow to a thin stream through your fingers to avoid lumps. Return the pot to the stove and bring to low simmer. Continue cooking for about 40 minutes, stirring constantly. Polenta will be done when it cleanly pulls away from the sides of the pot. Stir in the butter, heavy cream and cheese. Once combined, carefully pour the polenta onto a large sheet pan (12 by 18-inch). Spread it out evenly and let it cool completely until firm to the touch, about 1 1/2 hours.

Sauce:

In a large saute pan over high heat, add the butter, chopped garlic, porcini mushrooms, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook without stirring until the water from the mushrooms has been released and has evaporated. Add the Marsala wine, and parsley and begin stirring with a wooden spoon. Once the ingredients are incorporated, add the cream, reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the cream is reduced by half and has a thick consistency. Remove from the heat and keep covered. Set aside.

Heat the canola oil over high heat in a large deep pot or a deep-fryer. Meanwhile, slice the cooled polenta into desired size and shape. Once the oil has reached frying temperature, add the polenta, in batches, and deep-fry until golden brown.

Arrange the polenta on serving plates and spoon the desired amount of sauce over the top. Garnish with the shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve immediately.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.

Posts: 37870 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had our first 90 degree day a couple of days ago, and I made one of my favorite Lithuanian dishes.

It's a cold soup called Šaltibarščiai (cold beet soup). It's very refreshing on a hot summer day.

Cold Beet Soup

(chilling the ingredients means you can eat the soup right away or after a short chill in the frig)

1 jar Manischewitz Borscht, chilled
2 cups buttermilk
2 cans small whole beets, chilled
4 Persian cucumbers (miniature version of those English hothouse cucumbers that come wrapped in plastic and that you don't have to peel. Use the greenhouse cukes if you can't find the Persians)
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

In a large bowl, whisk together the borscht, buttermilk, the liquid drained from the canned beets and the sour cream.

Coarsely shred the beets and stir them into the soup.

Quarter the cukes lengthwise (don't peel) and cut into slices (medium thickness). Add to soup.

Season with salt to taste (I never add any). Add dill.

Chill (especially if individual ingredients weren't chilled).

The soup is usually served with boiled potatoes on the side, and some people like to chop or quarter a hard boiled egg into the soup when it's served. I like the spuds as a side, but don't usually go for the egg.

Of course you can prepare your own beets at home, but during the summer when it is hot, I usually don't feel like heating up the kitchen, and beets can take a while to cook, so I cheat and use canned.

Not surprisingly, it's very pink:

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
QuirtEvans' Cheesy Potatoes

1 lb. shredded potatoes
1 can cream of potato soup (or cream of chicken soup)
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheese ... the recipe calls for cheddar, I use a blend of cheddar and monterey jack
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter, melted

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients; spread into 2 quart glass baking dish. (It says to use nonstick cooking spray, but I never do.) Bake 45 minutes or until tender.

That's it!

The recipe also calls for a topping ... 1-1/2 cups of coarsely crushed corn flakes, and 2 tablespoons of butter ... but I've never done that.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
markb's potato onion frittata

3 medium-large potatoes
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 eggs, beaten

Nuke or bake the taters in their skins until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice 1/4-inch thick.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until lightly browned.

Combine beaten eggs with the potatoes and onions in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Pour in the potato mixture. Cover and cook over medium heat until the bottom is golden brown and the top is fairly set, about 5 minutes.

Slide the frittata out onto a plate. Invert the skillet over the plate and quickly flip over so that the frittata goes back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Remove the plate, return the skillet to the heat, and cook the second side, uncovered, until golden brown.

Slide the frittata back onto the plate and let cool for a few minutes. The recipe says it can be topped with salsa, but we haven't done that.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
rustyfingers' strata

Strata's Fare

6 large eggs
1 C 2% Milk
1/16 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
1 oz horseradish
1/4 tsp ground thyme
4 oz grated parmesan
8 oz cheddar cheese, cubed
8 slices Velveeta, cubed
12 slices French bread, cubed
1/2 lb sausage

Beat liquids with flavorings and parmesan in large bowl. Toss bread, cheddar, and Velveeta with liquid. Line 8" square pan with sausage. Pour liquid mixture into pan. Bake in 350 oven 45 minutes until done.

Mom was ill at the time she put her recipe book together for me, so sometimes she left things out. I think if you use bulk sausage and precook it, crumbled, not in slices, that this works best.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Dan's Breakfast Burritos

Breakfast burritos

Peel however many potatoes you need, cube 'em
Place in Pyrex mixing bowl.
Dot liberally with butter.
Cover with plastic wrap and shove it in the fridge.
On the day, put potatoes, still covered into microwave and nuke 'em

Scramble however many eggs you need.
When the 'taters are done, mix in the eggs.

Serve with a bag of shredded cheese for people to help themselves, tortillas, and several varieties of salsa.