well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  The Pinblock    WTF? A Cookbook!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF? A Cookbook!!!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Lilylady's Tomato Sauce to freeze

Similar to recipe above but a whole big pot of tomatoes. First put the tomatos in boiling water for a few seconds, retreive and peel. Chop.
Let the tomatoes and other veggies simmer down for a few hours before adding fresh herbs. Add black stemmed pepperment if desires.

Simmer down for 5-6 hrs.

Put in large baggies to freeze.

I use this in recipes more than as sauce for pasta. Over porkchops, chicken, etc

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Lilylady's Stewed Tomatos

Similar to Sauce recipe above but without Carrots and Zuchini, but onions might be added.

Best fresh, but frozen is doable, just not my preference.

Since these can all look the same in the freezer, I make sure that I label them!

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Lilylady's Herbal Vinegar

Pick fresh whatever herbs you want to include.

I do a big mix of herbs and then several different single herb, multi herbs and hot peppers.

What you see in the picture is the whole shabang. Huge bunches of herbs, picked after a rainfall but during the mid day on in sun when all the herbal essences have gone up into the leaves. After a rain is so that I don't have to wash them...I don't want to use them wet.

Vinegar preference is white WINE vinegar, which I have not found recently. So I use cider vinegar. DO NOT USE DISTILLED VINEGAR. That is for cleaning!

The one seen is one gallon of vinegar but then I purchased another gallon of which most was added

The herbs and vinegar are then set in the sun (my window heats up the glass to warm to the touch) for at least a week with some stirring during the week. You can leave it for a month if you wish.

Next step is a little harder. I take out all the herbs with a large split spoon, sqeezing out the vinegar during the process.

In another bowl, not stainless steel, I strain the vinegar. This I have found works great if you use coffee filters but it is a slow process as it gets clogged up with debris.

The clean bowl of vinegar is then put into attractive jars for gifts or canning jars for me.

To each jar, I add some freshly picked herbs showing what is in there. And a hot pepper or more in large mouth bottles. Bottles obtained at xmas tree shop etc.

Small mouthed bottles are then corked (you can buy them too) and then sealed with hot wax. For me, the canning jars themselves are fine (not canned). I store mine in the fridge.

PS - warning...do NOT use tin top like in the picture. The steaming vinegar showed signs of gunk/rust when opened the second day. It got replaced with a pyrex dish.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Tomato Pie from plays88keys

1 9" pie crust, prebaked until light brown (I use the Pillsbury unroll and bake kind)

3 ripe tomatoes
4 green onions
4-6 large basil leaves
salt and cracked black pepper
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Slice the tomatoes. While the crust is pre-baking, lay them out on paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt.

Use a small bowl for this: Snip the tops of the green onions with scissors, and slice the white part of the bottoms. Cut the basil into pieces. Mix all three things up in the bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl mix the mayonnaise and 2/3 cup of the shredded cheddar. Set aside.

Once the crust is ready, assemble:

Layer in all the tomato slices, sprinkle with more salt and cracked pepper. Over the that sprinkle in the green onion and basil. Over that spread the mayo/cheese mixture until it covers the whole pie.

Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of cheese over that. Then add the crumbled, cooked bacon.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Really good with a fresh fruit salad.

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Oh, thanks AdagioM...I used to have that one filed but the mayo made me delete it...so rich!

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plays88keys:
One thing, if you haven't made it already: I only use 1/2 cup mayo and add a little extra cheese. I just can't take all the fat swimming in the bottom of the pie dish!

Hope you enjoy it!

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I found this one on the internets somewhere--it's really, really good. I'm always looking for easy stuff that I can do in the slow cooker for those days when we're going to be busy all day but don't want to eat out.

It can also be made the day before and keeps well in the fridge. It's super-easy to get the fat off when it's cold, and then you can thicken the gravy/drippings, cut the meat (also very easy when cold) and dump it all into a big pot and serve from there.

SPICED BRISKET

Ingredients:

* 1 fresh brisket, about 4 pounds
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1 package dry onion soup mix
* 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice I've used about 10 whole allspice,um,pieces? kernels? with no problem
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 tablespoon flour mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water

Preparation:
Place brisket in slow cooker/Crock Pot; cut to fit if necessary. Combine water, ketchup, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, spices, garlic and pepper; add to the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Remove brisket from the slow cooker/Crock Pot. Skim fat from juices and transfer to a saucpan. Stir in flour-water paste and cook on low until thickened. Serve brisket sliced with the gravy.
Serves 10.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Eileen, resurrected by Quirt

Brined and Roasted Turkey
Serves 10 to 12
2 gallons cold water
2 cups bourbon
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 cup sugar
1 twelve- to fifteen-pound turkey, giblets removed and rinsed
1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Cornbread, Apple, and Sausage Stuffing (recipe below)
4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or low-sodium canned
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems (about 1 bunch)
1. In a pot large enough to accommodate the turkey, combine 2 gallons water, the bourbon, 2 cups salt, and the sugar. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Add turkey, and refrigerate for 18 to 36 hours.
2. Remove turkey from the brine, and dry well with paper towels. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons salt and the white and black pepper. Rub the inside and outside of the turkey with the salt-and-pepper mixture. Fill the large cavity and neck cavity with as much stuffing as they hold comfortably. Do not pack tightly, or the stuffing will not cook through. (If all the stuffing does not fit, simply transfer the extra to a buttered baking dish, and bake covered, for 30 minutes and uncovered for 15 minutes more in a 375° oven.) Tie the legs together loosely with kitchen twine. Fold the neck flap under, and secure with toothpicks. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a roasting rack in a heavy metal roasting pan. Fold the wing tips under the turkey.
4. Soak a clean kitchen towel in the chicken stock. Lift the towel out of the stock, and squeeze it slightly, leaving it very damp. Spread it evenly over the turkey. Place the turkey in the oven so breast is facing the front of the oven. Roast for 3 hours, basting every 30 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the towel. Turn roasting pan so the breast is facing the back of the oven. Baste turkey with pan juices. The skin gets fragile as it browns, so baste carefully. Add onions, carrots, celery, and parsley stems to the roasting pan around the turkey. Roast 1 hour more, basting after 30 minutes.
6. Insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. Do not poke into a bone. The temperature should reach 165° and the turkey should be golden brown. The breast does not need to be checked for temperature. If the legs are not fully cooked, baste the turkey, return to the oven, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. When fully cooked, remove the turkey from the oven, and let it rest, covered, for at least 20 minutes. Transfer to a carving board. Make the gravy, and serve with turkey.

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
OK, this isn't my recipe, but we tried it and it was yum-my. Too spicy for the kids, but who cares? I added a can of drained pineapple.

Turkey Curry Clicky

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Recommended by jon_nyc and Rachel, from epicurious.

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
Gourmet | November 2001

Yield: Makes 6 main-course servings
Active Time: 35 min
Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
ingredients
3 lb butternut squash
6 cups nonfat chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (9 oz)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
5 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 oz)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
4 oz arugula or baby spinach (6 cups), stems discarded and leaves very coarsely chopped

preparation
Roast squash:

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Halve squash lengthwise and seed, then cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch-wide slices and season with salt. Roast slices, skin side down, in a shallow baking pan in middle of oven until tender and golden, about 50 minutes.

Set aside 6 crescent-shaped squash slices for serving and keep warm.
Cut flesh from remaining slices into 1/2-inch pieces, discarding skin.
Start risotto after squash has been roasting 40 minutes:

Bring broth to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer, covered.

Meanwhile, cook onion in butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add rice, garlic, and cumin and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente (it should be the consistency of thick soup), about 18 minutes total. (There will be leftover broth.)

Stir in squash pieces, then stir in cheese, salt, sage, and arugula and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. (If necessary, thin risotto with some leftover broth.)

Serve risotto immediately, spooned over reserved squash slices.

nutritional information
Each serving contains about 308 calories and 4 grams fat.
Nutritional analysis provided by Gourmet

Stir in 1/2 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring frequently, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is creamy-looking but still al dente (it should be the consistency of thick soup), about 18 minutes total. (There will be leftover broth.)

Stir in squash pieces, then stir in cheese, salt, sage, and arugula and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. (If necessary, thin risotto with some leftover broth.)

Serve risotto immediately, spooned over reserved squash slices.

nutritional information
Each serving contains about 308 calories and 4 grams fat.
Nutritional analysis provided by Gourmet

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
apple's monkeybread recipe

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cans (16.3 oz each) Pillsbury® Grands!® Homestyle refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, if desired
1/2 cup raisins, if desired
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 12-cup fluted tube pan.
2. In large plastic food-storage bag, mix sugar and cinnamon. Separate dough into 16 biscuits; cut each into quarters. Shake in bag to coat. Arrange in pan, adding walnuts and raisins among the biscuit pieces.
3. Mix brown sugar and butter; pour over biscuit pieces.
4. Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until golden brown and no longer doughy in center. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn upside down onto serving plate; pull apart to serve. Serve warm.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Mikailoh's Pork Chops with Chipotle Glaze

I saw this on Today show and fixed it last night. GREAT recipe... pretty easy too. YOu can use powdered chiles if you like. I did. I highly recommend.

Pork chops with chipotle glaze

The famed chef gives this tasty dish a south of the border-style kick

Jean-Georges Vongerichten

4 portions

INGREDIENTS

4 thick cut pork chops
Salt/white pepper, as needed
Olive oil, as needed
Chipotle glaze
1/2 cup sugar moistened with 2 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ancho chili, toasted and chopped in 1/2 pieces
1 tablespoon chipotle chili, toasted and chopped in 1/2 pieces
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Pork chops
Season pork well with salt and rub with olive oil, then grill. Spoon
the chili glaze liberally over the pork to coat well and serve.

Chipotle glaze
Put sugar in a heavy-bottom pot and moisten with enough water to
make the texture of wet sand. Cook over high heat until golden and
add garlic. Cook, stirring until garlic is toasted and golden, then
add chilies. Stir until fragrant, then add juices. Reduce until you
have a sweet and sour glaze, then add salt. Reserve at room temp
until needed

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Shortbread (chocolate or butterscotch chip)

Chocolate Chip Shortbread

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips or butterscotch chips (I used mini chocolate, but I’ve also used butterscotch)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt, and then beat these with the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in chips. Press into an ungreased 9 inch square pan.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
Score shortbread with sharp knife into desired size servings, but do not cut all the way through. Leave in pan and cool on rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely.
Break into pieces.

Enjoy!

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of apple*
posted Hide Post
i didn't even know this cookbook thread existed.

There are many good recipes~!

Posts: 4933 | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Life?
Picture of musicasacra
posted Hide Post
Last night's dinner, very tasty and quick to make.

http://www.foodandwine.com/rec...ed-chicken-schnitzel

Panko-Coated Chicken Schnitzel
Recipe by Thomas Keller

Thomas Keller of the French Laundry in Yountville, California uses panko bread crumbs to give chicken a crunchy crust. “Pounding chicken breasts to a uniform thickness cuts down on cooking time,” he says.

TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN SERVINGS: 4
FAST * STAFF FAVORITE

INGREDIENTS
1 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups panko
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each), butterflied and pounded 1/4-inch-thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
6 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons capers
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

DIRECTIONS
Set the flour, eggs and panko in three separate shallow bowls. Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in the eggs and coat thoroughly with the panko, pressing lightly to adhere.
In each of 2 large skillets, heat 1/4 cup of the canola oil. Add the chicken and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter and cook over moderately high heat until browned and nutty, about 4 minutes. Stir in the capers, lemon juice and parsley; spoon over the chicken and serve.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: 02 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post