well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Family Music Bash

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family Music Bash
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Three years ago we went to a wedding in Big Sur. A beautiful wedding in a beautiful place. I posted pictures of the event. Perhaps you remember them.

The bride was Chrissy, someone Sharon works with and the daughter of Sharon's boss. The groom was Thom, who I mostly knew as our family photographer. We have several of his photographs hanging in our house. Nice people - warm and friendly.

Thom was in perfect health until one day he wasn't. That day was three weeks ago and within two weeks he was dead. Cancer - lots of it. He was 62 - younger than I am. Damn.

The funeral was today.

I didn't know him well enough to know much of his family history and learned quite a bit at the funeral. Middle child of 7 kids and his family is quite musical. Dad was a concert violinist and Mom was a local radio personality. He grew up in Michigan where much of his family still lives.

Thom played several instruments and passed the gift of music to his children, three of whom sang the Beatles' "Blackbird" at the service. Acapella and perfect three part harmony - nailed it.

His brothers each spoke, telling stories about him growing up. His kids spoke as well, one of them remembering his favorite road trip game was to have the kids identify time signatures for the music on the radio.

When the youngest brother spoke he told us about the family tradition of organizing "Palmer Music Bashes" whenever there were enough of them together in one place. The last one Thom attended was in 2012 at a community center up in the San Fernando Valley. Luckily they recorded it and posted it on YouTube. They played it to close the service and I've posted it here.

Thom sings lead and his son Alex is next to him. I recognize some of the others from the funeral but don't know exactly who they are. His youngest brother Chris plays the lead guitar part. What's remarkable is that this is a family and from what I can tell they still do this, as did my family until my parents died. We sang the music of my parent's generation; the Palmers sing the music of mine.

Farewell, Thom. Your kids will carry on the traditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjV-G0Fy2BQ

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cancer is so cruel.

Thank you for sharing his story and his music, wow! My heart goes out to his children, and his bride, they were still practically newlyweds. Frowner

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18543 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My condolences.
May he rests in peace.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry. It must be a bittersweet memory now to see that video. Hopefully it will be a comfort and precious memory. RIP.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post