well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Stop throwing your food away

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stop throwing your food away
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:

The lie of “expired” food and the disastrous truth of America’s food waste problem

Stop throwing your food away.

https://www.vox.com/22559293/f...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
Nobody who sees me in person would ever accuse me of throwing food away.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Doug-- ROTFLMAO

I've been fretting about climate change lately, albeit not enough to turn off my A/C in Oklahoma. That's the biggest part of my carbon footprint, along with airplane travel when there's not a pandemic on.

It's not possible to fully mitigate the footprint of my air conditioner and my trips to see my grandchildren, although it does help that we have really outstanding insulation and we drive our cars, which are hybrids, very little.

Lately, I've been thinking about the food part of my footprint. (Yay! I'm back to the thread topic!) Between the CSA bag of eggs and veggies and the garden, my meat consumption is down significantly and a large proportion of my intake is local, which makes the environmental costs of processing and shipping go away.

On the flip side, I waste food practically every week and I was brought up to feel that wasting food is a terrible thing to do. The garden output ebbs and flows. Sometimes it's more than I can eat and not suitable for freezing. Sometimes I just don't like what the CSA sends. During the pandemic, I can't give it away at work. (We don't really know our neighbors.) I have a compost pile, but was having trouble with smell and insects and such.

The upshot of all this is that Quirt got me a countertop composter. I put the smelly stuff in that and throw things like corn shucks and yard waste on the traditional compost pile. There's a small energy cost--a couple of cents a cycle--but it's doing the job and I have the best garden ever, without the smell and bugs.

Unfortunately, this means that I have grown waaayyyyy more squash than I can eat. Does anybody want me to mail them some?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have two large jars of marinated artichoke hearts from Costco. I have been using them as weights to press tofu.

They are dated “best by Feb 2017.” Any guess whether the contents are still good?

(EDIT). I suspect I’ll taste it anyway.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s OK to respond. If I die from food poisoning, I won’t hold you responsible.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Things to consider:

1) Was it stored in a cool dark place?
2) Do you have any clue when you bought it? That is, how far away from original manufacture date is it?
3) Have you checked whether the seal is good by pushing on the little button in the center of the lid?

We store most of our food products in the basement, so it's a cool dark place that I think helps prolong shelf life.

For canned products, or marinated/pickled stuff in jars, I feel pretty comfortable eating it a couple of years past the sell by/best by date. At four and a half years past that date, I'm a little less confident.

edit: Having said that, I know we've eaten five year old currant jelly that we put up ourselves. We're still here, so clearly it was a successful experiment.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I shop for food fairly frequently at Asian food markets. I typically avoid buying anything that does not have a human readable expiration or "best by" date stamped or printed on the packaging. Lots of Asian food exports are not labeled with legible expiration date. Overall, I still think requiring expiration dates does more good than harm.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
I shop for food fairly frequently at Asian food markets. I typically avoid buying anything that does not have a human readable expiration or "best by" date stamped or printed on the packaging. Lots of Asian food exports are not labeled with legible expiration date. Overall, I still think requiring expiration dates does more good than harm.

Me, too. I especially love the foil packs of “pickled vegetable” that say they’re good for a year past the date…that isn’t printed on the package.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have a ceramic crock of something called “preserved vegetable” that I used only once for some forgotten Asian recipe. No expiration date. If it’s “preserved,” it must be good forever, right? Big Grin