well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In the Senate
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In the Senate
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We watched a bit of the proceedings today. The House managers did a good job of laying out their case for a Senate trial being constitutional.

Bill Cassidy (R-LA) agreed. He said he thought the Trump team seemed disorganized and didn't lay out a cogent argument for a trial being unconstitutional, so as an impartial juror listening to both sides he voted for the trial to move forward. So that made six Republicans who voted "yea".

Waiting for the LA GOP to censure him....as a party, the GOP are becoming the masters of cancel culture, censuring anyone who dare to not bow before Trump.....

Anyone else watch, or have you all had enough?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
For former President Donald Trump, the opening day of his second impeachment trial did not go as planned or to his liking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-BB1dxVrn?li=BBnb7Kz

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
It’s hard to get interested when everyone already knows how it will end.

I’m spending my time reading about Biden’s plans and actions moving forward. It’s very satisfying.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34980 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
It’s hard to get interested when everyone already knows how it will end.
All last year, I said I could not understand how there was a single undecided voter in the U.S. Apparently there were a few.

Now, we are talking about the Senate. I have a very very hard time believing there is a single Senator that does not already have his or her mind made up about whether to convict I-1.

What is disturbing is that there are several who, in the days immediately after January 6, said that I-1 was responsible who have now changed their tune.

But I don't think anything that will be presented at the "trial" will change anyone's mind.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I can’t bring myself to watch the actual proceedings, but I was quite entertained by this summary:

The Defense

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
I can’t bring myself to watch the actual proceedings, but I was quite entertained by this summary:

The Defense

Yikes! Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34980 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought maybe Castor is a closet Democrat and signed on to the Trump defense team to torpedo the case.

It's the only reasonable explanation.

Bazootiehead-in-training

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hire Castor to represent me to challenge a parking ticket. One of the jokes on FB was that Trump's lawyers seek got attend law school.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Well, for someone like Trump (IS there anyone like him?), I guess beggars can't be choosers when it comes to finding lawyers willing to represent you.

Sad that the partisan Senate makes it almost impossible for him to be convicted of impeachment, and considering how lousy his defense is, makes it especially sad.

We could hardly have done better when it comes to the excellence of our prosecutorial team and the lousiness of the defense. And STILL we don't have a chance. Mad

I guess, though, the words and presentation on both sides will make for a historic record of Trump's guilt and shameful actions - here, in terms of his last minute criminal behavior.

That's important. Future generations will be astonished at how extreme the situation clearly was, despite which he still prevailed because of the partisan politics and self-interest of the senators deciding on the basis of their reelection chances.

I must say, I am surprised and pleased at McConnell's stressing senators ought to "vote their conscience". I have to give him credit for that, though wondering if he would follow his own advice if he himself stood to lose reelection.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:

The Defense

Yikes! Eeker

Indeed.

"word salad"

and also "judicial thinking place"

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18586 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Utah Sen. Mitt Romney had a short but harrowing cameo during impeachment trial videos shown Wednesday to the Senate about violence at the Capitol during the Jan. 6 riots.

Del. Stacy Plaskett, D-Virgin Islands, one of the House managers prosecuting former President Donald Trump, narrated that moment for senators.
“In this security footage, you can see [Capitol Police] Officer [Eugene] Goodman running to respond to the initial breach,” she says. “Officer Goodman passes Sen. Mitt Romney, and directs him to turn around in order to get to safety.”
Romney is shown turning and then running to escape the mob.

Of course, Romney is one of the most recognizable members of Congress as the 2012 GOP nominee for president — and is someone the mob probably despised as the sole Republican who voted to convict Trump in his first impeachment. Had the mob found him, it could have been a disaster for Romney.

Romney told reporters during a dinner break that that he did not realize the mob had been so close to him, and did not know until today exactly who the officer was who had warned him away from the rioters.

About videos shown Wednesday, Romney said, “It was obviously very troubling to see the great violence that our Capitol police and others were subjected to. It tears at your heart and brings tears to your eyes. That was overwhelmingly distressing and emotional.”

Plaskett said Goodman was a hero in others ways besides helping Romney away from a near-miss.

“On the first floor just beneath them [Goodman and Romney], the mob has already started to search for the Senate chamber. Officer Goodman made his way down to the first floor,” she says.

Goodman, by himself, is shown later tricking protesters who are essentially at the door of the Senate into following him as he retreats to where other officers are waiting.

It came on a day when senators were shown videos that previously had not been made public about the violence, including several close calls between members of Congress and protestors chanting that they wanted to kill them.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/po...omney-has-harrowing/

Generally, I think the house impeachment team is doing a good job.

They didn't need to call witnesses; there's an abundance of audio, video, and tweets as evidence.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I bet my lunch money I-1’s lawyers ain’t gonna get paid.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Castor talks tomFox News about the defense strategy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...nse-unconstitutional

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Tommy Tuberville revealed late Wednesday that he spoke to Donald Trump on Jan. 6, just as a violent mob closed in on the the Senate, and informed the then-president directly that Vice President Mike Pence had just been evacuated from the chamber.

“I said ‘Mr. President, they just took the vice president out, I’ve got to go,'” Tuberville (R-Ala.) told POLITICO on Capitol Hill on Wednesday night, saying he cut the phone call short amid the chaos.

The existence of the phone call had been previously reported, but the detail that Tuberville informed Trump his vice president was in danger is a new and potentially significant development for House prosecutors seeking Trump’s conviction: it occurred just around the time that Trump sent a tweet attacking Pence for not having “the courage” to unilaterally stop Joe Biden’s victory. And Trump never indicated publicly that he was aware of Pence’s plight, even hours after Tuberville says he told him.

It’s long been unclear precisely when Trump learned of the danger that Congress and his vice president faced — though it was broadcast all over live television — but Tuberville’s claim would mark a specific moment Trump was notified that Pence had to be evacuated for his own safety.

quote:
The phone call itself figured into the House impeachment managers' case against Trump, detailed during Wednesday’s Senate trial arguments. The managers noted that while a mob encroached on the Senate chamber, Trump was ignoring his allies’ pleas for him to publicly call them off. Instead, Trump accidentally phoned Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) as he sought to get in touch with Tuberville to request that the Alabama senator continue objecting to the election results in order to buy time. Lee, according to reports in Utah’s Deseret News and CNN, passed his phone to the newly elected lawmaker for the brief call.

House managers say the call took place shortly after 2 p.m. Pence was evacuated from the chamber at about 2:15 p.m. and Trump sent his tweet attacking Pence at 2:24 pm. The entire Senate was cleared by about 2:30pm.

https://www.politico.com/news/...p-impeachment-468572

He didn't have to disclose this information. I wonder why he did. Twinge of conscience?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Castor talks tomFox News about the defense strategy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...nse-unconstitutional

I suspect Castor and Schoen collected their $$$$ already. Bet a supporter paid them.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post