well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "Nobody wants to see that"
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Nobody wants to see that"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Trump has been, for the duration of his presidency, fixated on staging military parades, but only of a certain sort. In a 2018 White House planning meeting for such an event, Trump asked his staff not to include wounded veterans, on grounds that spectators would feel uncomfortable in the presence of amputees. “Nobody wants to see that,” he said.

https://www.theatlantic.com/po...-and-suckers/615997/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I was living in Washington DC when the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial opened. I went there three or four times. Every time, there were people in wheelchairs and people missing arms and legs visiting the Memorial... looking for the names of their buddies who weren't lucky enough to come home just missing a leg.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Dicusting.

Everyday, four years later, he says or does something else.

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I think this Atlantic article will be the end of Trump. It sounds like the allegations are well sourced and are likely to be supported by further witnesses.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Jack - you have way way way too much faith. I thought when he stood on a stage and made fun of that disabled reporter, it would be the end of him. When he said he grabs women by the ***** and they like it because he's famous, I thought for sure, for SURE, that would be the end of him. This new behavior is equally appalling, but if those didn't do it, I don't know why this would. And those came out of his own mouth, captured on video. This is just hearsay.

The man is like teflon. His supporters just simply refuse to see anything that doesn't fit their vision of the man. This will be just like that. They'll see the big bully mainstream fake news making up lies about heroic Donald again.

Posts: 4403 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I think this Atlantic article will be the end of Trump. It sounds like the allegations are well sourced and are likely to be supported by further witnesses.

Jf

Kelly has already refused to comment. Jennifer Rubin is calling out Kelly and Mattis for cowardice.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
President Bone Spurs goes after anyone he thinks could make him look inferior.

We all know what he said about McCain. Saying these kinds of things about others in the military is totally plausible.

The Believers will just write it off, even if the sources come forward. "They never liked Teh Donald anyway...."

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:

Jf

Kelly has already refused to comment. Jennifer Rubin is calling out Kelly and Mattis for cowardice.

Kelly is a likely source for the story.

Jf

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The man is like teflon. His supporters just simply refuse to see anything that doesn't fit their vision of the man.
This.

Most of the people I work with are veterans. Nearly all of them support I-1 and are constantly quoting gibberish from all-hate radio to back up their views and excuse anything he does that I find repulsive. Until recently "draft dodger" was about the worst thing anyone could be in their eyes. But in their eyes, I-1 is either not a draft dodger -- he really did have bone spurs (despite all the pictures of him playing tennis with no apparent discomfort) -- or now, being a draft dodger is okay, as long as it's Dear Leader who was doing the dodging. (In one twisted explanation, God protected I-1 from the draft, because imagine the trouble the US would be in today if I-1 had gone to Vietnam and gotten killed!)

I remember an interview with one I-1 supporter a couple years ago. She was asked about I-1 saying he could walk out on Fifth Avenue and shoot someone and still get elected. Her response was "well, what did that person do to provoke him? What did that person do to deserve getting himself shot?"

What is two or three levels above "Cult of Personality"? Deification?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I-1 responds: "fake news" and "I gave them more money" -- further reinforcing that to him, everything in life is transactional which is pretty much the whole story already. Whether it's I-1's presidency or anyone's military service: why would anyone serve their nation -- and die? What's in it for them? One's personal interests are the only thing. Serving a greater good is not a thing at all.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53979819

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Reaction from veteran groups.

https://www.businessinsider.co...losers-report-2020-9

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
A report that President Donald Trump said US troops who died in World War I were "losers" has gone over about as well as one might think it would among liberal military veterans.

What do conservative military veterans think about the statement?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Fox News has confirmed much of the stuff in the Atlantic story. This is a hit for Trump because it hits him with his base.

Jf

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Fox reporting to which Jack refers.

Fox anonymous sources confirm some of the things the Atlantic's anonymous sources said.

Other parts of the Atlantic reporting remain unconfirmed.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...veterans-sources-say

The sources need to come forward. All of them.

Bazootiehead-in-training

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
The point isn’t necessarily to turn his base. Most of it can’t be turnt. Although anecdotally (on twitter), I’m seeing a few instances.

More to the point, maybe some of the undecideds can be swayed.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post