well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Could have ended up in the trash

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could have ended up in the trash
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Albert Einstein's handwritten notes for the theory of relativity fetched a record 11.6 million euros ($13 million) at an auction in Paris on Tuesday.

The manuscript had been valued at around a quarter of the final sum, which is by far the highest ever paid for anything written by the genius scientist.

It contains preparatory work for the physicist's signature achievement, the theory of general relativity, which he published in 1915.

Calling the notes "without a doubt the most valuable Einstein manuscript ever to come to auction", Christie's—which handled the sale on behalf of the Aguttes auction house—had estimated prior to the auction that it would fetch two to three million euros.

https://phys.org/news/2021-11-...s-paris-auction.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37962 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
handwritten notes for the theory of relativity fetched a record 11.6 million euros ($13 million)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't think anyone will ever pay that much for the handwritten notes that are piling up over here as I work on my book...

suave

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18574 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I don't think anyone will ever pay that much for the handwritten notes that are piling up over here as I work on my book...
Who is the most famous celebrity in your field? Noam Chomsky? How much can Chomsky hand-written notes fetch in an auction, say, 50 years after he passes away?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who is the most famous celebrity in your field? Noam Chomsky? How much can Chomsky hand-written notes fetch in an auction, say, 50 years after he passes away?

That’s a good question. He’s one… maybe sort of polarizing?

then there are the linguists who’ve branched out and become sort of public intellectuals (?) like John McWhorter (who I like, not that that’s relevant…) or Stephen Pinker (who I don’t like, not that that’s relevant…) They are both too young maybe, but have pretty high name recognition

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18574 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post