well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    LAST QUESTION - Prepping for winter, avoiding freezing pipes
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LAST QUESTION - Prepping for winter, avoiding freezing pipes
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, I'm thinking about. I hope things are going as well as they can be.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18493 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
For sure! Is your insurance company stepping up?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34964 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, Nina, just saw this. I am so sorry. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
After last week’s single digit temps I was sure the plants I left in my pot-o-herbs would all be dead but they’re not! The rosemary and thyme look fine. The sage looks a bit raggedy but still has leaves on it.

Yahoo!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34964 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
No real change at this point. We are in the queue for initial clean-up/demolition. It was supposed to start Wednesday, they've been pushing it back and it's now slated to start tomorrow. Fingers crossed. There are so many impacted homes around here.

The piano is being picked up today and headed to the technician for assessment (no direct water damage but in heat/high humidity for multiple days). I checked it out yesterday and there doesn't seem to be major damage, but perhaps keys need to be swapped out (they're slightly swollen but my hope is they'll return to their past glory once they're in a lower-humidity environment).

Thanks for asking! Smiler

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, Nina, I can only imagine how stressful and disruptive this all is!!

Have you had many of your belongings impacted or are most things salvageable?

Posts: 18493 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S. re the piano, I'm glad you're getting it taken to a technician. Getting it back to a reasonable humidity may very well be all it needs, fingers crossed!

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's not clear how much of our stuff is salvageable. Items in the basement are pretty much toast, but we didn't have anything particularly nice down there.

I'm more concerned about the "soft" furniture, which didn't get any direct hits of water (not soaked) but they've been sitting in high humidity for awhile. Again, we need to see the status after the house has been drier. But there will be significant demo/rebuild, drywall, built-ins, cabinets, and pretty much all the flooring throughout the house. It's gonna be a huge job. We're resigned to have to spend some amount of money out of pocket, and hope our insurance steps up. That's the next step.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow. I am so, so sorry!!

Are you staying in a hotel for the time being?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Oh Nina. What a nightmare. You guys must be exhausted. I hope the demo goes quickly, and the piano is ok. I remember how stressed out i was about our two water damage issues, but that’s nothing compared to what you are going through. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post