well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pickles, halloumi, and camel milk

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pickles, halloumi, and camel milk
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Food trends for 2024.

https://www.axios.com/2023/12/...placement=newsletter

Pickles are a staple in the wtg household. I buy the Lithuanian brand Kedainiu, made with oak leaves. We use bay leaves, too, but I'm guessing oak leaves were more accessible and cheaper..

Halloumi was on the 2022 prediction list as a vegetarian substitute for meat. Not sure I'm seeing that one. I buy halloumi occasionally at Costco. Only an "Opa!" when I fry it in the pan, sans flames.
And never used as a meat substitute.

Haven't had camel milk. Unlikely to seek it out.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I never have been out of pickles - love them. Halloumi I'd be willing to try. Camel milk? While I love milk, hat would take some convincing.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Halloumi in my experience is "fine." It's chewy (and squeaky) and mild, but it will pick up the flavor of whatever you might cook it with. Sauteed is nice. It doesn't melt.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I tried halloumi once; it was called for in a grain-bowl recipe. I think it was browned in a skillet first. It’s very good. TJ’s had it, but I have not seen it there lately.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I love halloumi! We use it in salads frequently or with roasted vegetables and grains. It’s not a meat substitute but it is a source of protein that we will add to vegetarian dishes.

Interesting that you said it’s mild, Nina. I find it quite briney and salty (in a good way). Like a strong feta with a different texture. If I want a mild cheese to use as protein that picks up the other flavours I turn to paneer.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I had grilled halloumi on a bun at a Lebanese place in London. I could eat a LOT of that.

I love pickles. Not so much a fan of sweet pickles, but there’s always a jar of kosher dills in the fridge. I also love Indian pickles if they are not mind-alteringly hot.

Camel milk? Never tried it. I guess I might if it were offered.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A food product has to develop trendiness to sell widely. I doubt Camel's milk can get over that .... hump.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
A food product has to develop trendiness to sell widely. I doubt Camel's milk can get over that .... hump.
Good Night
This is as good an excuse as any to use one of our less-common emojis.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Smiler Smiler Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post