well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Collections

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collections
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I get that people like to collect things. But collecting found paper airplanes?

quote:
We love the nostalgia and sense of discovery in this story of found paper airplanes. From the New Yorker Magazine, we read about Harry Everett Smith, a painter, filmmaker and collector.

His paper airplane collection became thing of legend over the years, particularly because of his passion and interest in tracking down new ones. Jumping out into moving traffic, grabbing an airplane before it dived into a gutter, Smith put pride into his saving of these throwaway relics.

Collected between 1961 and 1983, a box of 250 planes was donated to the Smithsonian after his death, just a fraction of his total collection, but a
fascinating time capsule nonetheless.

https://mossandfog.com/histori...placement=newsletter

After further reflection, I realized I have my own odd collection, a ziplock bag full of bird feathers that I've found in my yard or on walks...I had more of them but gave them to my neighbor's kids, who had lots of fun identifying what birds they came from.

I also have boxes of Depression glass stashed down in the basement under the stairs. And being Lithuanian, I have a collection of amber.

How about you? What's in your collection? Bonus points if it's in the "why would anyone collect that?" category.

--------------------------------
When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38215 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post