Notify
Tools

Pee Wee
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
When Pee Wee’s Playhouse made it onto network TV, I allowed myself to think there was hope for this country. RIP Paul Reubens.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
One year when I was teaching grade 8 we did a secret word every day. Inspired by Pee Wee’s Playhouse, of course. I had a word of the day calendar on my desk so that was our secret word. My kids learned so much great vocabulary that year because they enjoyed the chaos is caused.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
When Pee Wee’s Playhouse made it onto network TV, I allowed myself to think there was hope for this country. RIP Paul Reubens.

Never looked at his show that way. I wish I had.

Dol,
How was the secret word used?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:

Never looked at his show that way. I wish I had.

Dol,
How was the secret word used?

Well, it wasn’t a secret. The idea was to get students using these new words in appropriate context. So at the beginning of the day I would introduce the word and we would talk about what it meant and come up with sentences that made sense for the word. I posted the word so they could see it. Then, any time anyone said that word (in a sentence… they couldn’t just randomly say it) we would do the big cheering reaction like they did on the show. The kids loved it. I think I also gave them tokens for our classroom economy if they used it appropriately in context. Some days no one could figure out how to get the word in. Other days we would do it dozens of times and it would be ridiculous. But they learned lots of new words!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I discovered Pee Wee's Playhouse through my toddler nieces who loved it. I grew to love it too. They REALLY loved the Secret Word.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13573 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
He was from Sarasota or he used lived there.

I liked how he used to say, "I meant to do that!" when he had fallen over on his bicycle. Lol.

RIP

Posts: 24791 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post