well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Platinum Jubilee

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Platinum Jubilee
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
Today, June 2 marks the 70th anniversary of the coronation.

I'm not particularly a fan of HM (and haven't been-- I guess I'm the wrong generation). I'm not particularly a fan of her family.

My favorites are William, Catherine, and Charlotte.

William is much better at his role than I thought he'd be.

Catherine took some time to win me over but I have nothing but good things to say about her these days. She seems to do everything well. She and William seem to be very, very happy.

Charlotte looks like HM and Diana. She's adorable and seems to have a very unique personality.

I certainly don't believe in the devine right of kings. I would want to abolish the monarchy, but it's not my country.

Still, 70 years on the job for HM is an acievement the likes of which we won't see again.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I love watching that stuff. My father was British, his mother knew the birthday dates of all of Queen Elizabeth’s children. Big Grin. My father’s sister can not stand Prince Harry’s wife. It cracks me up.

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20461 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My Mom loved reading/watching everything royal. I thought of her today, both because of the Platinum Jubilee celebration, and because today is Mom's birthday. She would have been 98.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was about high end audio speakers.

Leaving

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Very high end!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
hysteric

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
My Mom loved reading/watching everything royal. I thought of her today, both because of the Platinum Jubilee celebration, and because today is Mom's birthday. She would have been 98.

God bless.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There's a documentary titled The Coronation that was produced by the BBC in 2018. It is notable because HM appears in it and talks about the ceremony. It also has a ton of info about the Crown Jewels, including some killer closeups of some of the most famous stones in the world.

The program is available on demand via Comcast/Xfinity through the Smithsonian Channel. I watched it last night; it was pretty interesting. I tried looking for it online but was unsuccessful. There are two and three minute snippets, but not the whole thing.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
There's a documentary titled The Coronation that was produced by the BBC in 2018. It is notable because HM appears in it and talks about the ceremony. It also has a ton of info about the Crown Jewels, including some killer closeups of some of the most famous stones in the world.

The program is available on demand via Comcast/Xfinity through the Smithsonian Channel. I watched it last night; it was pretty interesting. I tried looking for it online but was unsuccessful. There are two and three minute snippets, but not the whole thing.

Thanks for mentioning this; I just started watching it.

It’s a lot of hooey, but I love the pageantry and symbolism of it all. And those big honking diamonds with the flat culets…they remind me of my grandmother’s diamond ring that I now wear on occasion.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I can remember my mother telling me to come and watch the coronation. The fuzzy picture was in black and white and came and went. I would have been five years old.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watching historical moments unfold on television is a routine part of modern life—but one royal celebration cemented the television’s place in our living rooms.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org....lizabeths-coronation

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Tonight's big performance...

ABC broadcast this tonight...weird...

Rod Stewart singing "Sweet Caroline"?

Alisa Keys singing her "New York" song?

The cast of "Hamilton"?? Andrew Lloyd Webber was just the introducer of this....???

So not British...

Ok Duran Duran and Elton John (who did perform but on video)....No Paul McCartney? Tom Jones?

Diana Ross the close out...

So odd to have so many American performers...

And Charles was so ....blah..

They were so focused on lighting up the building I think they forgot the people...

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I started to watch The Coronation but fell asleep. This is because I started watching too late, in bed, and not a commentary on the documentary itself. I'll try again in an upright position when the sun's out.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post