well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I think I'm a xxxxxx snob...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I'm a xxxxxx snob...
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Masks. Not only the nose hanging out, or the throat mask.

I've been noticing fit in the people that come close enough. They may be wearing it correctly, but I'll see big gaps around the nose most often, or around the sides. Bugs me.

What's your current behavior peeve that you notice?

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your current behavior peeve that you notice?

1. People with their noses out, or the mask is at a spot on the nose where it's basically meaningless. That really bugs me. Esp since we heard a Japanese news piece that talked about how the nose plays a bigger role than the mouth in infection.

2. People with a face shield but no mask. Face shields alone are basically meaningless.

Having said that...
quote:
big gaps around the nose most often, or around the sides

I am having a problem with cheek-gaps... I have been wearing disposable masks because they seem to work best in terms of my glasses not fogging and I like how the horizontal pleats give you enough room to breathe etc. But some of the masks seem to be worse than others in terms of bulging out at the sides...

So far it looks like my uni will have us back teaching in person starting in the second half of Sept. so I really want to make sure I'm wearing the mask in the best way...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18471 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I wear a KN95 beneath a BioShield cloth mask. The BioShield helps keep KN95 sealed around the entire face.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having said that...
quote:
big gaps around the nose most often, or around the sides

I am having a problem with cheek-gaps... I have been wearing disposable masks because they seem to work best in terms of my glasses not fogging and I like how the horizontal pleats give you enough room to breathe etc. But some of the masks seem to be worse than others in terms of bulging out at the sides...

So far it looks like my uni will have us back teaching in person starting in the second half of Sept. so I really want to make sure I'm wearing the mask in the best way...

Have you tried the knot in the earloop technique? Search youtube for "fit mask to small face" for some ideas!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
I typically use a surgical mask with an N95 over it when in the supermarket or other business. When running outdoors on the street, I'm typically 40 or more feet away from anyone - and have a cloth mask with me should I stop and talk with someone, keeping a distance between us.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I think the layering is usually a surgical mask over the N95 for doctors and dentists. The thinking is to preserve the N95 for multiple uses while being able to dispose of the surgical mask that might have gotten sprayed.

My order of N95 masks arrived yesterday from primo dental online. Over the head straps - tight fit with a built-in foam and metal nose piece means it really is a respirator and shouldn't have any glasses fogging problems. I'll use it for tuning today and report back.

https://primodentalproducts.co...-n95-made-in-usa-5pk

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
well... the seal is great all the way around. But that little horizontal section that contains the foam and nose wire is porous - which means warm breath can and does go through upwards and steam up the glasses. It would be better if that little wedge of material didn't let air through.

Still a good mask, just not great for glasses.

By the way, this is the design:

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com