well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Medicare (a question)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medicare (a question)
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Ok, I’m in my 7 month window, and I have a question I hope someone can answer. I am going to do Medicare A & B with a supplemental. Does anyone know if I can sign up for A&B online now, and in a few weeks when I’ve figured out what supplemental to get sign up for that then (still in my 7 month window). Or do I have to have it all figured out before I start the online signup?

I know I’m overly worried about this because we’ve already had one online mishap - Steve retired early, so we had to get medical insurance before we were eligible for Medicare, and when he was going through the online form - the prompt was “income in a specific month”, he typed in 0 and immediately got rerouted to Medicaid, and he couldn’t back out of it and we ended up with Medicaid cards, (even though we don’t qualify) and it took multiple phone calls to clear it up. (We kept getting letters about it even after we thought we had cancelled). So I really dont want to mess this up! This all feels a little more complicated than it should be. Frowner

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Lol. I just answered my own question. Big Grin

Sign up for Medicare when you're first eligible. Answer a few questions to find out when you can sign up for Medicare.

The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your Medigap Open Enrollment Period. This is the 6-month period that starts the first day of the month you're 65 or older and signed up for Part B. After this period, your options to buy a Medigap policy may be limited and the policy may cost more.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I really hate having to figure stuff like this out.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
In the immortal words of Bill Clinton, “Ah feel your pain.” Cool

The agent you use for your supplement (and you want an agent for this, IMHO) will be able to help you through the process. Its not real hard but its easy to mess up.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yep, Steve speaks sooth. I have an agent we've been very happy with. This year he determined that MFR in fact did not need a part D plan and signed her up for a zero premium plan. I can send you his contact info if you like. he's excellent at explaining the costs vs benefits of the supplementals and Part D plans.

We chose traditional Medicare plus supplement too. Advantage plans can make you jump through more hoops to get the treatments you want.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I likely need a Montana agent. We had issues finding medical insurance, there just aren’t that many choices here.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We found the tool on Medicare.gov a good place to start to see what's available.

https://www.medicare.gov/plan-...#/?year=2024&lang=en

We haven't used an agent.

Mr wtg has Plan F for his supplement, but I had to go with Plan G because F was no longer available. Same coverage, but I have to pay my annual Medicare deductible.

Neither of us takes any prescription meds, so picking a Part D plan is a carp shoot. There are zero premium plans available around here, but we didn't go with one.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You can find some interesting discussion and insights on this forum for insurance agents.

Sample (it's an old thread, I picked it at random):

https://www.insurance-forums.c...-on-med-supps.26622/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Passing along FWIW for anyone who might be considering a move...

You're guaranteed acceptance during that initial 6 month period after you become eligible for Medicare.
A friend went on Medicare just before she planned a move to a different state. She looked at plans that were available in both states before deciding which company to go with. She was going to be in Illinois for a while but was building a house in Washington so she and her mom could be closer to other family. She wanted to avoid having to apply for Medigap insurance with a different insurer in Washington; she would have been outside the 6 month guaranteed acceptance window.

Not something I would ever think of, but there it is...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure you need someone from Montana. Traditional Medicare is the same everywhere. That would not be true with commercial insurance.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
The agent is to help with the supplemental insurance choices. I owe you all a huge THANK YOU for suggesting an agent. I called a local independent agent, she told me I needed to sign up for A & B first, then to make an appointment with her to figure out the supplemental. She suggested I go down to the local SS office, that it *might* be quicker than signing up online. Nice thing about living in a small city of 34K - We went this morning (nothing in this town is more than about 10 minutes from our house) there was no one else there, the security guard was super friendly, it took less than 15 minutes for the guy behind the window to send off my application. So when I get it back in the mail (2-3 weeks) I’ll go get help from the agent. Yay.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
jodi, the site I linked to,

https://www.medicare.gov/plan-...#/?year=2024&lang=en

is not about Medicare A and B. After you put in your zip code, it asks you whether you want to see the Medicare Advantage plans (Part C), Medicare drug plans (Part D), or Medigap (aka supplemental) policies that are available in your zip code.

You put in your age and whether you smoke. For the Medigap plans, it asks if you want to see plans with spousal discounts; not all insurers offer them.

Even if you're want to work with an agent, you can see what is available to you and what it will cost so you can check things out before you meet with them, and before you've actually gotten your confirmation letter re Medicare A and B enrollment. The premium will be the same whether you use an agent or not.

eta: I think agents use the same site to do their analysis. This article is geared toward them, and tells them how to use the redesigned (2020) medicare.gov Plan Finder site. It does a much better job of explaining it than I did... Big Grin

https://blog.newhorizonsmktg.c...plan-finder-tool6520

Bazootiehead-in-training

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I really hate having to figure stuff like this out.

jodi, you and steve really should talk to our medicare insurance agency in helena. they handled this brilliantly for us and it doesn't cost you a dime. very trustworthy, they know all the medicare ins and outs, and they make the whole process painless. message me and i'll give you our agent's contact info.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
oops, i see you found one. well, i can't recommend ours highly enough. you can do the whole thing by phone or email, i'm pretty sure.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
btw, we ended up going with plan G. lots of good reasons for this, mostly having to do with no surprises down the road--you always know how much your medical expenses will be.

mr pique just looked up our agent for you: grace waggoner at jacoby insurance in helena.