well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Trader Joe’s business practices

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trader Joe’s business practices
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Someone on a local group posted this article alleging shady business practices at TJ’s. At some level this “copy-catting” is something many businesses do, but maybe this is at another level.

We Need To Talk About Trader Joe’s

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13884 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Well that’s pretty bad.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I had no idea...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7601 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I know there are two sides to every story, but this sounds plausible…and terrible.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9851 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Spy vs. Spy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...erything/ar-BB1lxLz7

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38211 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
The consumer goods business is rife with this sort of thing. It's very cutthroat.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13647 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent bit of muckraking by that writer! Anyone who might be considering negotiating with TJ's is now on notice.

I would hope that that form of "inspiration" for TJ's now fully dries up. The customer base probably won't much care and only a small fraction will probably have read the article. But the small emerging vendors are now fully informed. Any of them that want to continue trying to "expand" via TJ's have no one to blame if they find their product appropriated by that firm.

Not a TJ's shopper here. I've never really liked the place the few times I have walked in.

Posts: 12758 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
The free market in action. The big fish continue to eat the little fish.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I suspect the small local brands can work a better deal with places like Whole Foods. Here I know they carry product from a dozen small coffee roasters.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13884 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
what PD said. we don't have a trader joe's here and i don't eat that kind of stuff anyway. i don't like the costco private label pre-prepared foods, either. i think this story should get more play so that more people know about it. a nice piece of muckraking, indeed.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak to their business practices, but we know people who work there, and shop there regularly. They treat their employees well and they seem happy to be there. The staff is uniformly the most friendly and helpful of any nationwide franchise.

And they make great frozen soup dumplings.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post