well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Moving on

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving on
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
President-elect Joe Biden has privately told advisers that he doesn't want his presidency to be consumed by investigations of his predecessor, according to five people familiar with the discussions, despite pressure from some Democrats who want inquiries into President Donald Trump, his policies and members of his administration.

Biden has raised concerns that investigations would further divide a country he is trying to unite and risk making every day of his presidency about Trump, said the sources, who spoke on background to offer details of private conversations.

They said he has specifically told advisers that he is wary of federal tax investigations of Trump or of challenging any orders Trump may issue granting immunity to members of his staff before he leaves office. One adviser said Biden has made it clear that he "just wants to move on."

Another Biden adviser said, "He's going to be more oriented toward fixing the problems and moving forward than prosecuting them."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...sources-say-n1247959

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37951 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I understand that POV, and this is certainly the image he should project if he wants to continue governing from the center.

I also understand the opposite POV, that hundreds and perhaps thousands of appointed and career "civil servants" may have abused their positions and violated the law. Leaving those cases un-investigated risks the legitimacy of the entire system of governance.

I think I would seek a middle way. Handle lower level malfeasance with internal institutional discipline (demotion/firing) without great fanfare or publicity. Let the DOJ handle egregious cases using standard procedures without any interference from the president ... a way of reinforcing the renewed independence of the DOJ. But state prosecutors remain free to pursue leads wherever they go.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Like Obama, this idea just reinforces the 'playing by two rulebooks' politics that has broken our two-party system.

Democrats are held to a high standard while Rethuglicans seem to play by 'anything goes' for a win.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Here is a great example of the "investigate the heck out of 'em" POV.

Hakeem Jeffries on Investigating Lindsey Graham

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I respectfully disagree with Mr. Biden. I-1 needs to be held accountable for whatever illegal activities he and his administration have engaged in. I don't think a single Hatch Act violation have been addressed effectively. If there is tax evasion, that needs to be investigated and prosecuted.

What else?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54716550

Otherwise, the precedent remains that you can get away with anything when you are president. I-1 has really taken to heart Nixon's quip that if the president does it, by definition, that means it's not illegal. That must be demonstrated to be wrong in the United States of America.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. I tend to agree with P*D's assessment. When *significant* illegal activities surface for the highest people (Trump, his staff, etc.) then I think we need to prosecute. What will not help, IMO, is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him, which would be a diversion. So, for example, if there is clear evidence of tax fraud, quid pro quo, collusion then yep--throw the book at whoever. But don't go after Trump because he hawked beans during some idiotic press conference.

My 2c!

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the Mueller Report released in its entirety except for any parts that clearly jeopardize national security.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post