well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hallucinations

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hallucinations
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The life-changing effects of hallucinations

Illusions brought on by drugs, lights and disease are giving us new insights into the inner workings of our brains. William Park ventured into his own induced hallucination to find out more.

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...arn-about-your-brain

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37894 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that one of the 'trippers' quoted considers these things illusions. I always wondered if they were distortions or the ability to perceive other things visually.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Suspect the trials will fade away again due to a lack of positive results.

Never tried LSD back when. Have wondered whether I missed anything.
These days I would be afraid to try it. I might find myself running for the House of Representatives for the Republican Party.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25703 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Interesting read, thanks!

I tried psilocybin once (at least that’s what they said it was) ca. 1971. It was nice, mild, just enhanced natural colors in my surroundings.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

These days I would be afraid to try it. I might find myself running for the House of Representatives for the Republican Party.

Bad trip, man.

Bad.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34943 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I used to live near Millbrook where Timothy Leary did his LSD experiments after leaving Harvard. He lived in a friend's mansion.

I used to drive by the gatehouse on a regular basis when I was driving clients back and forth from Millbrook and Quaker Hill to the City and LaGuardia, JFK, and Newark.

He was long gone but Millbrook's residents were still incensed all those years later.

There was a student who graduated from New College and then went to Harvard to study psychodelics.

He used to sell the highest (no pun intended) quality LSD and ecstacy to New College students through a student who was his friend.

I don't know but somehow I doubt that the campus community is as tolerant now during the College's third iteration as it was during its second when I attended school there.

I don't have much to say about this topic. I would definitely advise against it without a truly safe place to be as well as a trustworthy and supportive community.

I would definitely advise against it for people over a certain age.

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I agree. I think you have to have a certain innocence to truly enjoy psychedelics of any real potency. That kind of precludes adults.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

Bad trip, man.

Bad.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 25703 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I agree. I think you have to have a certain innocence to truly enjoy psychedelics of any real potency. That kind of precludes adults.

“innocence” is a nice way of putting it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

“innocence” is a nice way of putting it.

OK, you have to be a teenager living in Fantasy Farm to begin with. How's that?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:

Speaking f these trials, I was talking to an FDA guy last week about dose-controlled trials (instead of placebo). He brought up these psychedelics as an example because with a placebo “they’re really hard to blind”. lol

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
That's a very good point.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I believe the word is hallucinations not illusions. These words aren't interchangable.

This reminds me of Meghan Markle's Archetypes podcast.
She's not talking about achetypes. She's talking about stereotypes.

My other comment has to do with this passage--

"In the 1950s and 60s, there was a great deal of interest in psychedelics as a treatment for disorders from depression and alcohol addiction to schizophrenia. The US even ran experiments under the names Project MKUltra and Project MKDELTA to see if LSD could be used as a truth drug. While research into the therapeutic benefits of hallucinogens was largely paused after LSD was criminalised in the late 60s, there has recently been a renewal of interest in using hallucinogens such as ketamine and LSD as therapeutic treatments, etc."

This makes MKUltra should like some kind of therapeutic tool.

Of course it had a much more sinister purpose.

https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwes.../Project_MKULTRA.htm

Posts: 24717 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a very good point.

+1