well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So I did this thing.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I did this thing.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
They are producing a television series in town and are casting for extras. (Background people that you don’t actually notice). I filled out the online thingie, with photos Eeker and measurements HairRaising and all sorts of other details (what pets do you have, what kind of car do you drive), and figured no way, I’m not going to be what they want, I’m big and old and hard to fit - but I got a request, and I punched in “YES!” to the dates they listed and supposedly I will get an email about getting covid tested and fitted for costumes… Now i can’t sleep because I’m really hoping I get to do this. One of my art friends in town was in an episode of Return to Lonesome Dove a number of years ago. She even played the piano in it. She said it was pretty much an entire day of sitting around interspersed with doing the same scene over and over again. Another was an extra for a day, but the scene she was in ended up cut from the movie. Big Grin

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20476 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Fun! Good luck!

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33803 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Cool!! Fingers crossed!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18603 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
She said it was pretty much an entire day of sitting around interspersed with doing the same scene over and over again. Another was an extra for a day, but the scene she was in ended up cut from the movie. Big Grin
Do these “extras” get paid for the entire day including wait time? Do you have to join a union (e.g. the Screen Actors’ Guild) to take a job like this?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's very cool, Jodi! I hope you have fun!

(Ax: my memory is that extras are not allowed to join SAG, unless they have a speaking line.)

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, I looked it up: https://www.sagaftra.org/membe...-benefits/steps-join

The SAG-AFTRA accommodates background actors, but you have to first complete three days of background acting work (or one day with speaking role) in productions covered by the union, and pay a $3000 initiation fee, then there is also the annual dues that exceed $450 a year. It looks like the initiation fee and annual dues will price out most hobbyists. Shrug

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jodi, don’t forget us little people after you become a rich and famous movie star, ok? Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Fun!

Do you know the name of the movie?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34993 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oh, very fun. And costumes!

I was an extra for an episode of The Librarians (cable series). They wanted knitters, so they wanted pictures of our hands. Then the knitters turned into quilters. And then I ended up being just a townsperson, walking around town. We wore our own clothes.

Pay was for all day. There was a lot of sitting around, so I got a lot of knitting done.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9808 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Fun!

Do you know the name of the movie?

It's a spin off of the Yellowstone series called "1923" it stars Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren!

Smiler Jodi

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
So cool! We can say we knew you when. Wink

Posts: 13637 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I hope we get to see you in the movie. If you know what scene(s) you might appear in and some more details after shooting, let us know. After spending some time in Montana when my younger daughter lived there, I always enjoy seeing the state.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7425 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope you are recognizable in a shot and not just one from the back
like my sister-in-law in The Firm or whatever the first movie from a John
Grisham was named.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25730 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Oh very very cool! I may have to come down to Butte to watch the filming of your scenes! Big Grin

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21363 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Still not sure I’ll actually get to do this. But I’ll keep you all posted!

Smiler Jodi