well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sometimes life is just too complicated
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes life is just too complicated
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I'm suffering from an acute case of "too many choices". I'm probably just bringing this on to myself by over-analyzing...

We have a vintage (ahem) innerspring mattress in the master bedroom. There really doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it despite its age (no lumps or mushy edges), but neither of us sleep as well as we used to, so we are considering whether to try a newer style mattress or maybe a mattress topper.

Reviews are all over the map online, and I hate the bedding store chains. Aargh.

And....years ago we had one of our three bedrooms set up as a guest room, but we basically never had guests so we converted it to a library/piano room that I was the only one using (and not very often). Time to convert it back to a guest room because we may have more visitors in the future.

The room isn't terribly large, so we're going with a full size bed, one of the hybrid memory foam/cooling gel styles. We figured it was a good way to try out a different kind of mattress before figuring out what to do with the bed in the master bedroom.

Ordered the guest room mattress (and platform bed) via Costco online and set everything up yesterday. We both plan to "test sleep" that setup to see how we like it; the mattress we bought was not very expensive but got good reviews. Not sure how I'll like the whole memory foam concept. Guess I'll find out.

Have had trouble finding decent quality mattress pads locally (they all seem to be made out of paper-thin materials), but Costco seems to have one that gets good reviews.

Which brings us to sheets...I love Costco because the quality of their items is usually very good, and because of their generous return policy. Unfortunately they recently stopped selling full size sheet sets. Rats. Now I have to find a decent set of sheets that doesn't cost as much as the mattress did.

We've always been a cotton sheets only household, but a lot of people think microfiber sheets are nice. Do they sleep hot? I always associate polyester anything (including clothing) as making me sweat...

/end of rant and anxiously awaiting any and all suggestions from y'all about sources for good quality bedding. Also whether you've tried memory foam/gel mattresses and whether you like them or not.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37962 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We have some sheets we really love from Bed Bath & Beyond. Don't remember what brand.

I highly recommend our top of the line Tempurpedic. We love ours and since I have had it back problems are nonexistent. A lot of money, but you spend 1/3 of your life in it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
T. J. Maxx and Home Goods sell decent sheet sets very reasonably.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'd always had innerspring mattresses. Mary Anna convinced me to switch to latex foam. It's actually made by a local company with different slices of different firmness, depending on what you want. And it doesn't cause me to sleep hot (of course, I keep the bedroom at "frozen tundra" temperature at night, which Mary Anna tolerates, which is just further evidence that she is a saint. But I digress.).

It's very comfortable and very good on my back.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Partial polyester sheets sleep cold (think: opposite of flannel). They actually have a "slippery" feeling that's comfortable in a way. I don't think they'd work well in your climate but who knows?

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Our mattress is a queen we bought when we lived in San Francisco. That makes it about 25 years old. It has been jumped on by three kids and theee dogs.

I so detest mattress shopping that it may stay here until we die or move.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We have IKEA mattress toppers in our Canada apartment--they've actually been great, but they weigh a freaking ton. I also have a memory foam topper from BB&B on our full bed here in PDX that's been fine, but if I recall correctly it was kind of crazy expensive. It doesn't weigh as much as the IKEA ones, though.

We bought an expensive hybrid mattress-memory foam topper combo about 10 years ago. It was oh so comfy until the topper (which is part of the mattress itself) started to give up the ghost. We know have a mattress that looks like a "W" from the side, and isn't all that comfy any longer. Moral: don't buy a hybrid. If you want memory foam, either spend the buckazoids on the full foam mattress or buy a topper that sits on top of your regular mattress.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Bought a new Beautyrest recently from the
Mattress Firm. (get it? snicker, snicker)

I like and got new all cotton sheets. Do not remember the brand.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Martha Stewart collection has really nice cotton sheets, they are cool and smooth to sleep on (I can’t stand it when my feet get too hot) Macy’s sells them.

We gotten our last few mattresses from Costco.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Seriously, mattress shopping is the absolute worst thing ever.

Sheets are probably second worst.

Sorry, I’m not help! :P

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18573 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
OTOH mattresses are on sale this weekend so you’re in luck. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We got Martha Stewart sheets about 10 years ago and they didn't fit our queen mattress--the pockets weren't deep enough. It took a Navy Seal to get the fitted sheet onto the mattress. BUT they were nice sheets, and I assume they've changed their pocket depth in the last 10 years.

Also, I couldn't believe that Costco doesn't sell "full" sheets, but your right. Shame on Costco! I like their sheets a lot. The price is right (even if the color selection is limited), and they're comfy and don't pill.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our mattress is a queen we bought when we lived in San Francisco. That makes it about 25 years old

Heh. Yours is a spring chicken compared to mine. Big Grin

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I stopped at a couple of the Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Home Goods stores today. They had more full sheet sets than I thought they might, but the color selection was kinda limited. We're a beige/brown household and today's colors are mostly greys.

I found one set of white sheets that feel pretty soft but the fabric seems really thin. I bought it, but also plan to head over to a couple of other Home Goods stores, Macys, and maybe Target to see if I can find something a little more sturdy.

BTW, here are beds I ordered from Costco. We got the Tahoe for the guest room and the Magnolia for the master bedroom. They're both from Brentwood Home; some of the Costco models aren't sold on the Brentwood website.

Brentwood Home has a one year trial if you buy from their website; with Costco it's the usual "no questions asked" Costco policy.

https://www.costco.com/Catalog...yword=brentwood+home

The Magnolia seems to be a bit like the Cedar Natural Luxe that's sold on the BH website, but a notch lower in cost and probably some differences in features.

We've opened up the full size one but the queen size one is still in the box. Brentwood Home also sells toppers, and I'm considering whether to just get a topper for our existing mattress. Thanks to Nina for alerting me to some of the issues with hybrid mattresses. It's nice that the BH toppers are buttoned on and are replaceable.

I like the materials BH uses in their products.

Will keep y'all posted!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37962 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
today's colors are mostly greys

Yep! And since I'm not fond of grey, this is kinda a PITA in my book.

How do those mattress do when they come out of the box? Does it take them awhile to get to the right shape/flatness?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18573 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The Tahoe, the synthetic foam one, was mostly expanded within three or four hours but I did notice that it took a little over a day for it to completely expand. You could see how the top cover was a little wrinkled, but eventually it smoothed out. We haven't tried sleeping on it yet because I'm waiting for the mattress pad and am still on the hunt for sheets.

It did not have a strong smell when we opened the plastic bag, but if you stick your nose right next to the mattress (with no bedding on it), I do detect a faint odor but it is not objectionable.

Haven't tried opening the queen size natural latex one yet.

Bazootiehead-in-training