well-temperedforum.groupee.net
CA Senate votes to strike anti-discrimination clause from Constitution

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/9603975497

25 June 2020, 08:42 PM
jon-nyc
CA Senate votes to strike anti-discrimination clause from Constitution
quote:
ACA 5 would repeal Proposition 209 (approved by California’s voters in November 1996) from the California Constitution, which states:

“The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the base of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting.”

Voters still get a say in November.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

25 June 2020, 11:35 PM
Piano*Dad
This clause was designed, if I recall correctly, to destroy affirmative action. I would not interpret this change as some plot by racists.
26 June 2020, 12:18 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
This clause was designed, if I recall correctly, to destroy affirmative action. I would not interpret this change as some plot by racists.

Why not? Confused

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

26 June 2020, 12:44 AM
Piano*Dad
So people who favor some form of affirmative action are racist now ...
26 June 2020, 10:12 AM
Daniel
Yes, but you said designed to destroy it. Confused
26 June 2020, 10:30 AM
Piano*Dad
Yes, the seemingly innocuous sounding amendment was a poison pill designed to force CA public universities to cut black enrollment by forcing them to use only "objective" measures like SAT scores, which even then were known to be biased toward whites and higher income families.
26 June 2020, 10:32 AM
Piano*Dad
SF Chronicle piece

quote:
California’s affirmative action ban, Proposition 209, targeted for repeal

26 June 2020, 03:32 PM
Daniel
Thanks for the clarification.