well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thyme ground cover

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thyme ground cover
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
In years past, someone here…maybe PJ…posted threads about growing thyme as ground cover. Now gone due to periodic purges.

We are thinking about it for gaps between paving stones in the patio. It’s really just ragged pieces of bluestone with plenty of gaps.

Ideas? Thyme varieties? Procedure?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I would love to do this as well. If I had my way the whole lawn would be thyme (or clover, which I think is lovely though I’m sure my neighbours would disagree).

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I saw this company’s plants at a local nursery. Some interesting choices along the lines of what y’all are considering…and practical info about plant selection and maintenance.

Stepables.

https://www.stepables.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
We have creeping thyme as ground cover in our place in New Mexico. It grows between the flagstones.

Posts: 12533 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I would get the very low growing stuff for in between pavers, not the regular or Woolley (which is what PJ grew) - the bigger thymes get too tall and leggy and will cover your pavers. The small stuff (it’s the kind people like to use in fairy gardens) would be perfect. Scotch and Irish moss would work too (I had that in between my pavers in Washington state).

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm… Thyme…. Yummy

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I still have some bits of wooly thyme going. Some softer and fuzzier, some less fuzzy and shinier leaves. But the varieties with very tiny leaves and don’t get higher than an inch make good walkable ground cover.

I found there are also varieties that flower and those that don’t. The flowering ones get a bit less friendly to walk on, but they seem to be hardier.

The dog loved to roll in the wooly thyme. We called it “playing pot roast”. He smelled great.

For areas that don’t get walked on, there’s a thyme I like called Archer’s gold that is a bit woodier and very hardy.

jodi also gave me some cuttings of lithodora. It has bright blue flowers and is low growing, but not quite stepable. I recommend it for edges.

Another cool thing for ground cover for light traffic areas is Corsican mint. Walk on it barefoot and your feet will smell lovely.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“Playing pot roast”

hysteric

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
RP, you might try planting a couple of different kinds and see which ones grow best. I planted 4 kinds and ended up with two that did well. The two that survived were marked “common thyme” and “German thyme”. Both stayed pretty low and didn’t mind being sheared. One grew better in the Spring and the other in the fall but I couldn’t tell you which was which.

Can you get the thyme with the roots still on and packed in water at the grocery store? I meant to try some of that in the ground but I never did - the idea being it’s probably a variety grown for flavor. I haven’t seen it packed that way here but I haven’t really looked, either.

[edit] This article is pretty good. It says the really low growing kinds aren’t really edible - I didn’t know that. It also says that thyme is hardy to Zone 4, which in theory means I can grow it here (6A). I’ll give it a shot.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Looking into all this now!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
the Corsican mint PJ mentions is wonderful. I had that too - smelled so good!

Smiler Jodi

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
we grew woolly thyme, scotch moss, and irish moss between the native stones of our patio. woolly thyme is hardier. scotch and irish moss need more water and cant take as much abuse. be aware that when they bloom they attract bees, so wear shoes when you go out to the patio!

we also planted, in areas that were out of the traffic pattern, creeping phlox, native wildflowers like monkey flower, pasque flower, and several others. we put in a small water feature in the corner that flooded these peripheral areas so that they would thrive.

the patio was bedded in sand, and then we put a mix of sandy loam in between the stones for the steppables. everything did very, very well until i rented out the house and a new tenant, a transplant from seattle, thought the plants were dead in early spring and pulled them out. Frowner he didn't understand dormancy.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Ack, pique - that would have broken my heart!

Smiler Jodi