well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/9591005366

26 July 2019, 08:59 PM
ShiroKuro
Piano shopping update -- my life is ruined now
I have another piano shopping update. I made a big mistake. I played a brand new Steinway M.

But let me first say I have never cared two shakes (or three) about Steinway as a name, or a mystique, which seems more accurate. I've played some Steinways I like, and some that were decidedly blah. But in general, I have been ignoring the ones I've seen online, they're all over priced from where I sit. And I did play one in a dealer a while back. It sounded like it was under a blanket. Yuck.

Not this one. OMG I fell in love with it immediately. I have never played a piano and responded to it like that in my whole life. I don't know what it was ... I'm a pretty mediocre pianist as y'all know, but that instrument made everything I played sound so good, every note was exquisite -- even the wrong ones! Ole I was just swooning the whole time! And also my heart was breaking, that thing probably costs about 1/2 of what we paid for our house!

That's the last time I'm going to play such an expensive piano. Jeez Louise.

In other news, I really like every Boston I've played so far.... OTOH, although I've been expecting that I'll end up wanting a Yamaha, I can't seem to find a Yamaha C2 or C3 that's a little newer and actually in tune, so the verdict is still out on that one.

So the hunt continues...

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

26 July 2019, 09:02 PM
Mikhailoh
I have had the similar experience ....blah for the most part. Then I played a concert prepped B. Utter magic in tone and touch. Made me much better than I am. Might have preferred it to my ideal, Bechsteins.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

26 July 2019, 09:16 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
a concert prepped B

Oh nice! One other Steinway that I loved was a piano I used to take lessons on. It was from 18?? 1880? I don't remember, but it only had 85 keys. It had been completely redone with all new innards by some swanky Steinway guy (apparently) but it just had the most amazing sound. I loved having that as my lesson piano! Smiler

I would imagine the brand new M I played was prepped very well.

I need to figure out how to erase that part of my memory now.... suave

26 July 2019, 09:26 PM
CHAS
Evil Steinway dreams Evil

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

26 July 2019, 09:27 PM
CHAS
Hope someday I achieve your degree of what you call mediocracy

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

26 July 2019, 09:39 PM
Mikhailoh
Cant wait to retire next month. I plan to devote at least an hour a day to my piano.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

26 July 2019, 10:04 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Cant wait to retire next month.

Oh! Early-congratulations!!!

26 July 2019, 10:38 PM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Cant wait to retire next month. I plan to devote at least an hour a day to my piano.

Very jealous. Hope you enjoy retirement as much as I think I will. ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

27 July 2019, 12:26 AM
RealPlayer
I'm sure that was a nice experience, SK. Steinways can be SO variable, which explains your varied reactions to them. When they are good, they are very, very good...as they say.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

27 July 2019, 02:19 AM
LL
Quite the experience.

I had it once. At Cathy Harl's. A piano that gave me that 'melting' experience. I didn't want to stop playing.

Even more while playing a private concert grand for 5 hrs. The Steingraeber that Eric Himy uses in concerts.

My MH is nice and makes me feel good, and I put my retirement savings into it. After a special upgrade regulation, it was heavenly.

But boy, those special 'once in a lifetime experiences' shall always be remembered and cherished!

The earth laughs in flowers

27 July 2019, 08:04 AM
jon-nyc
quote:

Mik that’s awesome.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

27 July 2019, 09:22 AM
rontuner
That brand new piano - is it local?

It's not always the case, but often behind a special piano, you can find a special technician that spent a half, whole or couple of days prepping a new piano once it arrives at a store.

It would be worth finding out who the tech is and have a chat to see if the piano got just a little prep or a lot. Often "lesser" pianos can be made much more responsive under the care of a very skilled technician...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

27 July 2019, 10:10 AM
wtg
quote:

Congratulations! You're gonna love it. But this announcement deserves a thread of its own.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

27 July 2019, 10:11 AM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Hope someday I achieve your degree of what you call mediocracy

CHAS you're kind, thank you! Smiler

quote:
That brand new piano - is it local?

Ron, I actually did ask who prepped it, I wanted to ask about what kind of prep was done, but it didn't occur to me to enlist the tech to work on a piano of my own! That's a great idea! Anyway, apparently the tech who did that piano is based out of a city that's about two hours from where we live (the dealer is about an hour drive from us). So I don't know how willing that person is to make a drive like that, but it's something to keep in mind as I'm test-playing pianos that are actually closer to my budget!

You know, I've played pianos I loved in the past, but the ones that have really made a huge impression on me have been more like 7 or 9 foot grands. With pianos that big, there's no way I could fit one in my house, so I don't think it affected me the same way. This piano would fit perfectly in our living room and I think that's part of why it sort of was so heartbreaking.... I know that doesn't make sense though.

Anyway, on the one hand, I keep thinking about that piano, on the other hand, it's just ridiculous to even think about.

Also, I am remembering a throw-away comment made by a dealer a while back. He was telling me about one of his used pianos, something about how it was a single-owner and the owner could hardly play, and he said something like "this piano was wasted on them."

I remember at the time thinking that was a horrible thing to say. But now it occurs to me that the piano I played yesterday would probably be wasted on me.

Which is also a horrible thing to say. Razzer

27 July 2019, 11:33 AM
Mary Anna
My tech may think my piano is wasted on me, too.

You know what? If it's giving a player pleasure, it's not wasted. The pianos that I think are wasted are the ones that nobody every plays. I'm pretty sure that the previous owners didn't play my piano, so I like to think I rescued it. Smiler

I have thought that mine might have gotten some special voicing before I got it, because the dealer had recently rented it to a venue where Burt Bacharach was giving a concert. When I bought the piano, the dealer gave me a newspaper clipping of Bacharach playing it. I guess it's possible that it was voiced to his taste for that concert.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com