well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    University of Montana course

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

University of Montana course
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Calling Bullsh!t. Yes, that's the name of the course.

https://www.umt.edu/news/2023/09/090523bull.php

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
In 8th grade I had a teacher give a crash course in critical thinking and analyzing news articles. It wasn’t an official course of study and he caught some flak for it, but it was one of the most influential classes I ever attended.

I had a Civics teacher in High School do much the same thing against similar resistance. Those two classes shaped how I view things to this day.

Bravo, U of M! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Should be more mandatory than algebra.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Harry Frankfurt's little book is on the reading list ...

From Princeton University Press

If you touch on my link you'll get a "404" error. That's because our wonderful WTF software is bleeping out a rather important part of the URL. You can fill that in manually ... Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

(I tweaked the URL a little so that the only thing people have to do is to change the "x" to a "t"))

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
A math teacher in the 8th grade prompted thinking.
Her three children are admirable achievers.
The man who taught the Old Testament in my first semester of college and the New Testament in my second semester was a critical thinker who inspired critical thinking.
He was, of course, fired. It was a Methodist College.
I moved to the U of Missouri after a year at what I call Jesus Tech.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
My social studies teacher in ninth grade made this book required reading. Turned out we already had a copy at home.

https://archive.org/details/Ho...ithStatistics_201608

It’s as relevant now as it was in 1954. Or more so.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Should be more mandatory than algebra.

ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
In high school I somehow wound up in a “salesmanship” class. But the teacher went off script and taught us how to read a newspaper in such a way to detect the biases of the writers and editors. That was the media literacy of its time. I appreciate it to this day.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
In high school I somehow wound up in a “salesmanship” class. But the teacher went off script and taught us how to read a newspaper in such a way to detect the biases of the writers and editors. That was the media literacy of its time. I appreciate it to this day.

My father did this with me from the time I was old enough to read a newspaper. Every Sunday we went over the New York Times and the Washington Post and he would point out to me the unanswered questions, the ways in which the reporter had skewed the facts or left them out altogether. It was rigorous and bracing and I thrived on it. I have often wondered if this way of reading and analyzing is wired into my ethnic heritage.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Oh and I used to be a professor in this department. It is one of the better departments at the university.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post