well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Forced to carry a baby to term with no kidneys
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forced to carry a baby to term with no kidneys
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Just to watch it die.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status...-toSefgdnrs8VlDTCruQ

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Page has been taken down.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It just worked for me.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It's still working for me too. But here's a direct link to the story on CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/02...pregnancy/index.html

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Twitter link is working now. And I read the CNN article. Sad and maddening.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The anti-abortionists I know would not be affected by this news story.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Not people I would choose to break bread with ...

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
So heartbreaking. And so unnecessary!

Curse

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
No kidneys is not a gray area.

This is an example of why I don't necessarily trust health care professionals-- they too often make self-centered, fear based decisions like this one.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
No kidneys is not a gray area.

This is an example of why I don't necessarily trust health care professionals-- they too often make self-centered, fear based decisions like this one.

Oh, but did you read down to the story about Jamie Herrera Beutler’s baby, born with no kidneys? A lot of medical intervention there, and then a transplant from the father. So it’s not impossible to survive, just improbable. (JHB was a local Republican lawmaker here. She got primaried by the Trumpies.)

I guess you could call that a gray area? Not very likely for most people, but not impossible.

For a family that couldn’t afford to travel out of state for an abortion, most likely impossible.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess you could call that a gray area? Not very likely for most people, but not impossible.

For a family that couldn’t afford to travel out of state for an abortion, most likely impossible.

Yeah, I would not call this a gray area. And yes, I did read the article.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18552 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
But in the case of JHB, there were so many things that had to align just perfectly. In my mind, this is another reason why these types of decisions should be between the doctor and the woman (not that you were saying differently, AM).

To take these one in a million cases and use them as reason to establish a wholesale ban on abortion is wrong.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
But in the case of JHB, there were so many things that had to align just perfectly. In my mind, this is another reason why these types of decisions should be between the doctor and the woman (not that you were saying differently, AM).

To take these one in a million cases and use them as reason to establish a wholesale ban on abortion is wrong.

Exactly.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

To take a...one in a million cases and use [it]...as reason to establish

...ANY law.

(Thinking too of the keynote speakers on the anti-abortion trail, people who have somehow survived attempted abortions - even early ones and go on to broadcast their joie de vivre.)

Likewise, for that matter - typical of well-off wingers - who rationalize eliminating basic safety net provisions on the basis of the one in a million unfortunates who somehow manage to survive or even thrive against all odds.

You know, that business of pulling oneself up by ones bootstraps and applying it as a standard for the vast majority who don't even have boots. Mad

There's something about many/most "self-made" wealthy people which leads them to completely deny the role of luck in their (anyone's) success. I'd say that's a trait that also leads them to becoming Republicans.

Note, personally, I also include in such instrumental luck, the mental health and nurturance of the parents they're born to - probably more important than their circumstances. At least one of the parents.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Oh, but did you read down to the story about Jamie Herrera Beutler’s baby, born with no kidneys? A lot of medical intervention there, and then a transplant from the father. So it’s not impossible to survive, just improbable.

Personal Edit: Not just "a lot of medical intervention", but a super lot of financial facilitation. Even a law-maker (the mother) reported three hospitals they appealed to, wouldn't even return their calls about the risky experimental procedure. Cost and affordability (by the parents) surely factored in the baby's eventual survival.

The kidney-less baby must have had to be on delicate dialysis from birth until years later when it underwent a kidney transplant (from its father) which itself must have been a super expensive procedure, besides which there will almost certainly have to be subsequent transplants as she grows.

How many parents of gestating infants with this rare condition could afford all such care?

It's an extremely complex ethical decision (entangled with financial issues), and it certainly does complicate legal arguments pro-con abortion under such circumstances. In a way, it's like the complications pro-con abortion engendered by the increasing number of babies surviving after birth at very early gestational ages. Every such surviving child moves back the legal age of permissible abortions, for those who oppose abortion.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post