well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Washington Post seems to have raised rates and terms

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Washington Post seems to have raised rates and terms
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
Anyone have any ideas about the most economical way to subscribe and (hopefully) share a subscription - what my family was doing through one member til now?

It's kind of confusing to search for info about this online, as so often out of date information isn't deleted.

Too bad they eliminated discounts for "edu" email addresses. I especially signed up for my university alumni email address based on online info, only to learn it was false. EDU doesn't qualify anymore.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I signed up back late last year when they were running a $9.99 per year for the Premium Digital subscription.

I still had a few months left on my previous subscription, so I signed up for a new subscription, that is, I used a different email address so they thought I was a new customer.

Premium Digitial gave me a bonus subscription to share, but I've given that away already.

The best deal I can find now is either $40 or $60 a year.

To see this rate, you need to have signed out/cleared out cookies for WaPo in your regular browser, or just use another browser that you don't normally use to browse WaPo.

Otherwise they think you're an existing subscriber.

https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/acquisition/

You could also just try canceling your current subscription and see what they offer you when they think they're going to lose you.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky...I get a "free" subscription using my daughter's login and she gets a free guest sub to the NY Times through me.

The only problem is, I wind up reading too much news.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I just signed up for the first time.

0 for the first month

$40 first year

$100 the rest of the year or something like that. Maybe $140.

I try to avoid biased papers, but their clergy abuse coverage is second to none.

I suppose I could have backed out of the application and gotten an email that sweetened the pot but I just did dit.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
If you are an Amazon Prime member, check if you get a lower cost subscription to the Washington Post’s digital edition through your Prime membership.

Bad news is Amazon recently announced that it will raise Prime’s subscription fee again.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12689 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The only offer I can see now is for $5.99 a month, which is more than going directly through WaPo.

Amazon used to do a free six month subscription but they stopped that years ago.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I'm on a 3.99 a month rate through AMZN Prime.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried logging in under Prime and got the $5.99 rate.

Is it possible that when you signed up it was $3.99 guaranteed for a year?

Or maybe you're just get the super special jon-nyc rate.... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I always read the fine print.

Something I learned from Comcast and ATT.

When I signed up for WSJ it was $4 a month for the student rate but there was NOTHING in the fine print about it reverting to any other rate, ever. Sure enough, I've been out of school for a few years now and it was still pulling the $4 out.

But it still was not worth it. I can get most of the stock info I need from other sites plus i set up a really cool portfolio spreadsheet in excel while i was in school that live-links and updates automatically with graphs etc.

The dean of the department invests $50,000 each semester of his own money in stock picks by students.

Happy to say that my pick (a large innovative multimodal trucking company) fared quite well through COVID, which came along almost immediately after graduation.

Technology IS the great leveller.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A cheap deal for WaPo popped up today. $22/yr for the basic digital and $33/yr for the premium digital (which comes with a bonus subscription to give away)

https://subscribe.washingtonpo...XPANDED&e=US_22_0222

Don't know how long it will be available.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
A cheap deal for WaPo popped up today. $22/yr for the basic digital and $33/yr for the premium digital (which comes with a bonus subscription to give away)

https://subscribe.washingtonpo...XPANDED&e=US_22_0222

Don't know how long it will be available.

Sounds like an opportunity but somehow my sons arranged our subscription, not sure what the cost was but I guess we're covered for the next year.

(Don't suppose someone could put it on hold for when a present subscription runs out?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They run subscription specials all the time. Late last year they were doing $9.99 a year regardless of whether you went for the digital or the digital premium. My subscription was running out at the end of January, but I signed up for a new digital premium under a different email address to take advantage of the low price. It was worth it for the month's overlap. And I gave away the bonus subscription

Bazootiehead-in-training