well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A house of another era
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A house of another era
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
restored Victorian era house in Pittsburgh near-in suburb\

This had to be a labor of love.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous interiors. I would be very happy with those interiors. That's my style! (well, one of them)

(Thanks for your kind words in the other thread, big al.)

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
When I worked at Colgate in Hamilton NY, you could see whole blocks of Victorian gingerbread homes.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
This had to be a labor of love.

Both when it was originally built, and this restoration. You can just tell how much someone loves this house; it really shines through.

Thanks for posting it!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Love it!

When I see places like this, I always really want to know why the owners are selling it.

This reminds me of the fact that the people who bought our house this summer were planning on doing a lot of renovating/painting/changing?? or something before they moved in. Considering all we did when we lived there, I will be forever curious as to what they did.
/threaddrift

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Stunning - just stunning. So much of everything!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
When I see places like this, I always really want to know why the owners are selling it.

You’d have to really have to love that house to keep up with the maintenance. The dust alone… Eeker

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
They bought it in 1990 for $44,000.

Maybe they need another project to take on. Like this one in my town.

https://www.realtor.com/reales...L_60004_M88200-20455

The Design Commission just rejected a tear down request from the developer who bought it. Very unusual.

https://www.dailyherald.com/ne...-value-officials-say

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dust alone…

Good point!!

WTG, good sleuthing! So, if they lived there since 1990, maybe they're downsizing?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18580 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
And at this price point?!

Wow.

Posts: 24736 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’ll second that…wow!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Lots of those in Cincinnati. Im in Texas Hill Country at the moment and there are a lot here too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Buffalo NY has a stunning stock of old houses like that. At the turn of the 20th century, there was a ton of money there.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love that wraparound porch. But mostly the house is too fussy for me. And they show a lot of the furniture, which is lovely, but not part of the deal! Just set dressing.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
I love the weatherboard houses of the US, so appealing to the eye.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/ho...ff984910de4f1b9b1e#/

Take a look at this beautiful house, inside and out, it is so spacious and light. Turret integrated into the master bedroom.
Also in a superb location, feeling rural but so near to Auckland Castle and the Spanish Gallery (etc.) of the Auckland project.
And the best sourdough ever is sold by Breaking Bread in the market place only a couple of hundred yards away. Their fig and walnut sourdough is divine.

Ah well, if...if we hadn't bought the girls a London flat we could've been living there.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post