well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Violins of Hope

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Violins of Hope
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Violins of Hope
August 7 – September 7, 2023
We are proud to partner with Jewish Community Centers of Chicago (JCC) to bring Violins of Hope to Arlington Heights. For one month, view a selection of violins from this truly unique and historic private collection of string instruments played by Jewish musicians before and during the Holocaust. Each violin has been painstakingly restored and the collection is now touring Chicagoland libraries, museums, and cultural institutions with a message of hope, resistance, resilience, and unity.

Arlington Heights Memorial Library will feature six violins from the collection on the library's First Floor, as well as offer a suite of companion programs, both virtually and in-person.

About the Exhibit
Israeli violinmakers, Amnon and Avshi Weinstein, have spent the last 20 years collecting and repairing Holocaust-era violins and other stringed instruments from around the world, some with the Star of David on the back and others with names and dates inscribed in the instrument. Together they have lovingly located and restored the violins to reclaim their lost heritage, give voice to the victims and reinforce essential messages of hope, harmony, and humanity. The violins have traveled to cities across the globe, including Rome, Tel Aviv, Berlin, Cleveland, London, Washington D.C., San Francisco, Richmond and now Chicago.  

https://www.ahml.info/content/violins-hope

I read about this initiative some time ago but don't recall a traveling exhibit. Turns out it just opened at my library, and there's a performance this weekend featuring the instruments. I didn't hear about the program until yesterday, and when I went to sign up for the concert I found that it is full. Frowner

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm very glad you mentioned that, WTG. On Googling for more information, I discovered that the exhibit will be coming to Pittsburgh in October and will centerpiece a variety of related events ( Violins of Hope Pittsburgh).

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7411 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post