well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Maui wildfires
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maui wildfires
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Destruction of Lahaina

As bad as the wipeout of Paradise in CA in the last bout of fires there.

Lahaina was an old and beautiful place with parts of the harbor area dating to the early 1800s.

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon there in '88.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Missed that Daniel already posted about this.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
36 deaths now; Front Street definitely burned to the ground.

Wow.

Thanks for the update, PD.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know it's Fox, but this says 1,000 people missing.

https://youtu.be/_piyLBPnVPo

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In most disasters, the bulk of the missing show up. But the confirmed fatalities here have already exceeded those of the Camp Paradise fire in California a few years back. Not a record you want to see broken.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I read an article about how to survive a wildfire. Probably not a big issue for me, but LS lives in Vermont, which has trees.

They said you shouldn't try to ride out a fire in a swimming pool. The lack of oxygen will cause you to pass out and drown. Also not great is any body of water in which you would need to tread water for hours.

They said if you really can't escape, next best thing is a huge parking lot. Some people survived the campfire fire by huddling in the middle of a Big Box Store parking lot.

I wonder if trying to ride a bike out would be better than car. It seems a lot of people get trapped in cars stuck in traffic.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i received wildland firefighter training for a mag assignment years ago. we were taught that if you can't escape a fire rushing towards you, to light a "back burn" and then go into it after it extinguishes and deploy your fireproof tent so you don't breathe the smoke. You have to get down on the ground and breathe the air next to the ground. I suspect this would not work well in a parking lot, but hell, if that's all you've got, I'm sure it's better than nothing.

the fireproof tents are a light foil, kind of like a space blanket. i've heard that firefighters have been found dead inside them so they aren't a perfect solution either.
once you are in a non-flammable area (called defensible space in firefighter lingo) the most important thing is to not inhale the smoke .

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
wonder if trying to ride a bike out would be better than car. It seems a lot of people get trapped in cars stuck in traffic.

no. exertion will pull smoke into your lungs.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Taught to hate tourists

Residents may kneecap themselves.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
More than 1,300 missing.

https://youtu.be/acNRX80azMo

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
This must be a very tough time for you, Daniel.

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:
wonder if trying to ride a bike out would be better than car. It seems a lot of people get trapped in cars stuck in traffic.

no. exertion will pull smoke into your lungs.

I dunno. Trying to outrun a wildfire will also pull smoke into your lungs.

Maybe part of a response plan needs to be that people have to be conditioned to carpool with neighbors. And strangers.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
This must be a very tough time for you, Daniel.

Comfort

Thanks, wtg. It's kind of unreal. Comfort

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
People were vaporized in this fire.

It wiped out the town from the north end (where down, live power lines were the ignition source) to the ocean in seventeen minutes.

The burned out cars on Front Street were full of people. The cars exploded like bombs.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I saw there are already vultures trying to buy up burned properties en masse. Beyond shameful.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post