well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Exchanging Foreign and U.S. Currency

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/9493952597

06 December 2020, 02:25 PM
Qaanaaq-Liaaq
Exchanging Foreign and U.S. Currency
Where did you exchange your foreign and U.S. currency?

I checked with some banks in my city and they either don’t exchange foreign currency at all or they exchange only for the more well traveled countries of the world such as Canada, Britain, and Mexico. None of them exchange for the lesser traveled countries. I have about $50-100 worth of Honduran Lempiras left over from my last trip there that I forgot to convert while leaving. I don’t live in an airline gateway city to Latin America where there’d be plenty of banks that would exchange.
06 December 2020, 02:56 PM
ShiroKuro
Did you ask a bank where you have an account and they said they couldn't do it? That's surprising. Did you tell them you weren't in a hurry? (i.e., you could drop the money off and wait a week, say, if they have to ship it out??)

Anyway, I have never exchanged any currency other than Japanese yen, and never had any trouble. Depending on the bank, if you want to buy yen, you might have to order it in advance. But I never had any problem using yen to buy back dollars.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

06 December 2020, 03:58 PM
BeeLady
I have often found myself with too many Lempiras.

Having no luck at the bank, usually give them to a Honduran friend before she goes home for a visit.

That doesn't help much with all the lock downs, especially Honduras where it is pretty strict right now.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

06 December 2020, 04:28 PM
Piano*Dad
quote:

That is not a sentence one often encounters ...
06 December 2020, 05:17 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:

That is not a sentence one often encounters ...

hysteric

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

06 December 2020, 07:19 PM
BeeLady
Big Grin

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

06 December 2020, 08:16 PM
pianojuggler
You might try just putting an ad on Craigslist. Say what you have and how much you want for it.

I use xe.com for current rates.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

12 December 2020, 02:56 PM
Qaanaaq-Liaaq
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I found a bank that’s willing to exchange the currency for me. The banker said the exchange rate between dollars and lempiras would not be worth it for me. According to the banker, for the amount of lempiras that I have, I’d get about -$10.00 for it. That’s minus ten dollars. In other words, I would have to pay the bank $10.00 because the bank also includes a foreign currency exchange fee. It’s basically worthless.
12 December 2020, 03:50 PM
jon-nyc
I've never bothered trying to exchange smaller amounts. Find a young kid to give them to.

I used to give them to my niece, then my friend's kid when she aged out, now my own kid.

MXN, CAD, EUR, GBP I just keep knowing I'll get back there soon enough.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.