well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's up with the backwards books?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with the backwards books?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We watch a few shows on HGTV and have noticed that when some designers stage a room with books they put the books in backwards, so you can't read the title on the spine and you can only see the page edges.

Color me....

Confused

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38012 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think it’s because don’t want to get the author’s permission to use each one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
that’s weird, because do you need permission to have a book on a shelf?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9810 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
that’s weird, because do you need permission to have a book on a shelf?

It’s a current design trend. A stupid one, but a trend nonetheless. As for permission, no, but financial compensation yes. I recently had a photoshoot done by Apple in my classroom, and I had to either cover or turn books so the back was out (no cover art) because if the cover art is visible they may have to pay compensation to the artist. I also had to tell them where the sweater I was wearing was purchased (it had a print so could be recognizable) so they could seek permission for it to be on their website. It was all craziness, but the rules were very clear and very strict!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4102 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I am not an IP lawyer, but I do wonder if the laws are the same in Canada and the U.S.

Posts: 45777 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s a good thing you couldn’t see my bookshelf when I did some instructional videos last summer from my studio! They were for a big company, but you could only see my bins of yarn…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9810 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I am not an IP lawyer, but I do wonder if the laws are the same in Canada and the U.S.

The shoot was for Apple worldwide, and in all my interactions with them they follow both US laws plus those in the country of residence of the person they are dealing with. The photographer was US based but was shooting folks in Canada, the US, Germany, and Italy, IIRC. The rules were the same for all of us.

Posts: 4102 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I guess it’s a good thing you couldn’t see my bookshelf when I did some instructional videos last summer from my studio! They were for a big company, but you could only see my bins of yarn…

My guess is that most companies would be totally ok. Apple and companies with similar financial clout (as in movie studios) not so much.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I was in a concert in one of the spaces at Lincoln Center some years ago. Often musicians bring bottled water to stay refreshed, and we were admonished to get rid of any bottles except for the one brand that was a sponsor for the concert. They were very strict about it. I think we were videoed too.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13831 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
An answer…

https://www.apartmenttherapy.c...m8KQ5_sG1lIb8kGDbLKw

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
As an author, I will say here and now that no TV or movie producer needs to get my formal permission to splash one of my books' covers across a scene in their show, especially if they let the camera linger lovingly on it for a while, and specially especially if someone in character happens to mention the book favorably in the scene! Big Grin

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Weird, because reporters on the cable networks broadcast from their homes, and bookshelves are a favored backdrop. All spines are usually exposed.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13831 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I really dislike books displayed like this:
[img] https://cdn.apartmenttherapy.i...fe2fc8e41327ce[/img]

Also, I don’t like the “book tower” which I see a lot in real estate listing photos.

Book displays should be functional: if you want to grab, the entire thing should not come down on our head!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18610 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post