well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Weather along Lake Erie

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weather along Lake Erie
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted

Looks like Narnia

quote:
Residents estimated the ice was between one and three feet thick.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some homes were completely dark because of how thick the ice was, local NBC affiliate WGRZ reported. Residents estimated the ice was between one and three feet thick.

That is a *lot* of weight. A quarter to a half inch brings power lines and large tree limbs down.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Picturesque.

Posts: 24711 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a *lot* of weight.

That's what I was thinking!! I wonder if my house would be able to withstand something like that. Sure hope I never have to find out!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
And across the lake in my neck of the woods:
https://blackburnnews.com/chat...on-erie-shore-drive/

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Still wanna move?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Ugh, I hate ice. Hopefully everyone is OK and the weather warms up soon.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
Still wanna move?

Still going to move, maybe not lakeshore.

Here are some more:

Lots of Ice

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34929 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lakeshore might be OK if the house is set further back and there are some trees in between the structure and the lake. But that might not be possible in a more metropolitan area like the one you're looking at. I think it's a lot more built up. I remember that one house that you were considering that had the beautiful landscaping. I think my first comment was "do you have any idea what it looks like in the winter during a high wind situation?" Chicago is seeing significant damage to private and public lakefront properties.

Lake Michigan is still just below record levels for this time of the year, and projections are that lake levels will continue to rise this year. The sale of our Door County house closed a week ago and I have to say I'm so relieved not to be concerned about high water tables and lake levels. The sump pump in the crawl was going on every minute or so, even during the winter. That's something we had never experienced in the nearly thirty years since we built the house. Current projections are for continued rising lake levels for the foreseeable future.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Those pictures are so incredible - at first when they appeared on facebook, I thought they were fake. Until I watched the video. I don’t know how a house survives that. That ice is going to push apart and get into every crack.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Looks like Narnia

quote:
Residents estimated the ice was between one and three feet thick.

These photos and the ones you posted later represent a savage beauty - and great danger. I feel for those residents and all around the lake.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

This tells the story - as much as can be known - about the how and why the victims are forced to proceed and what they have to fear apart from their present ice-bound status.

I wonder if anything similar has ever happened in living memory.

Hoping the dike holds and the disaster is mitigated when the great melt occurs.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:

This tells the story - as much as can be known - about the how and why the victims are forced to proceed and what they have to fear apart from their present ice-bound status.

I wonder if anything similar has ever happened in living memory.

Hoping the dike holds and the disaster is mitigated when the great melt occurs.

This happens almost every winter here. I have a friend who lives on the Lake Erie shore and that’s what her back deck/house wall looks like most years.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post