well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tell me about working in Spain, por favor
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about working in Spain, por favor
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Jon has valid points (except for the OLD comment! DUDE! Don't be rude!)

In Madrid and in Barcelona you'll get excellent fütbol. Don't know anything about the team in Bilbao, but I'm sure they have one.

We've never ever ever had a problem with speaking english in Barcelona, and we've actively avoided the tourist spots for at least part of every holiday there. BUT, the summer tourist season is a complete mess in terms of the sheer number of visitors.

All in all, it's a super fun problem for them to have and any of the 3 choices will be fantastic!

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Chance of a lifetime.

I just got an offer to work in Singapore, which doesn’t appeal, and a few months ago Norway. Northern Norway. MFR nixxed that one.
Mik, I would jump at the Singapore chance. It's a way cool city, especially for food! And a great travel base for all things Asian/Australian.

If you go, be sure you get housing AND a car included in your expat deal. Both are exorbitantly expensive there. We were paying $5500 per month for a small house back in 1990, and leasing an old beater car for $600 a month.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
One of my dearest friends is Catalan, although she was born in Panama and lived there until she moved here at fifteen. Her father and sister and many relatives live in and around Barcelona and she visits often. I'll ask her for her thoughts on it as a home for native English speakers.

That would be great, Mary Anna.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous, too! But at least if this happens I can visit. I agree, this would be the perfect time, in your early-mid 20s, become bilingual, etc. Oh to be in my early-mid 20s again...

Jon, thanks for the negotiation info. I hadn't thought about tax prep, but it's an excellent thought.

The original offer was for Santiago. That would have been cool, but I think Spain is cooler--also so easy to bop through Europe from there.

Stay tuned... I'm thinking this is likely to resolve in the next few weeks or so.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to work it might be more attractive. I’m getting like ten solicitations a day right now.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I liked Madrid. Seemed very Spanish to me. History everywhere. Would go back

Barcelona is a busy city with a nice beach.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25720 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post