well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Is Piano Tuning an Essential Service?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Piano Tuning an Essential Service?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
Is piano maintenance in general, or piano tuning specifically, an "essential service"?

Asking for a friend.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Nope

I need to have mine tuned but hands and all, all over the piano, in and out, nope.

Probably should wait to the season to change anyway...

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
No way.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Well... it depends!

The way the directives are written, piano tuning can often fall under "home repair services".

I am tuning for a few each week, but strive to make each visit "contactless". I only tune if the following can be met:

1. Text from the car and owner unlocks or props door and retreats to another part of the house.
2. Mask on, I enter and place tools on a plastic bag next to the piano. Sanitize bench, and areas I will touch - take apart enough to tune.
3. Tune as normal
4. Sanitize again during reassembly.
5. Lift tools onto shoulder and sanitize bottom of plastic bag before leaving.
6. Electronic payment and invoice or check left on piano.
7. Exit and return home to launder all clothes and shower.

I've spoken with someone that works at University of Chicago about this protocol and he felt pretty confident that it would minimize risk to both parties.

Your mileage may vary....

For higher separation, stay out of the piano room an hour before I arrive and an hour after I leave.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Sanitize with what? I just read that good sanitizing was leaving a surface wet for quite awhile. Certainly doesn't sound good for a piano!

SHE WAS A NURSE.

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ron I was going to ask that too, what are you using on the keyboard? I think you mentioned it before by my brain is mush!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
the way it seems to be working is that if the product of your labor is essential to another person's wealth creation, your job is essential.

Does that help? Wink

Hi!

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I like the Windex antibacterial spray for cleaning and sanitizing, and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned the physical barrier type shield from Zoono and Prefense. (Silane quaternary ammonium salt that continues to kill on contact for up to 30 days on hard surfaces and 24hrs on skin) Both are available online, but only Zoono has the EPA approval for the surface shield for now. Prefense's version should roll out in the summer. The skin versions work just as well on hard surfaces, but leave a more 'grippy' feel on the keys unless rubbed pretty vigorously with a microfiber cloth.

Hard plastic finishes and keys are pretty durable to just about anything except strong alcohol - it is the older lacquer-type finishes that can be tricky.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
And I just found this digging around: https://www.trisilgard.com/

Similar surface microbe shield, so I ordered a couple of bottles since they were in stock...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
the way it seems to be working is that if the product of your labor is essential to another person's wealth creation, your job is essential.

Does that help? Wink

Hi!

Oh hai!

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I had been putting off tuning mine when this thing hit, so it's been nine months easy. And now I have lots of time to play, so I want it perfect!

Arrggh...

Nevertheless, I don't want to take the risk. I also want my tech to still be in business when this is over. I need to get in touch and PayPal him some money. Also, my hairdresser.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
No way will i let a sanitizing product touch my piano. Can't be good for the finish or the leather on the bench.

I was going to have Marc come out this spring or summer. Frowner

Reminds me that I need to check in with him to see how he is.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Perhaps just our regular soap,water cloth and wait a day or two before playing?

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
The tough part is not knowing....

1. Neither one of us is contagious - no problem!
2. Both of us are contagious - no problem!
3. You are contagious and I haven't gotten it.
4. I am contagious and you haven't gotten it.

That is the matrix that I work from. 3 and 4 are the situations I'm attempting to plan to protect...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Some techs are using small UV lights to sanitize. I have one, but not sure how well it really works. 10 seconds/area, so it takes a bit of time to work across the keys.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com