well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Property Taxes in Montana

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Taxes in Montana
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
People face having to sell their homes due to rising property taxes. They’ll make quite a profit when they sell but no one really wants to do that.

CA had the same problem before Prop 13 went in to effect. Might be time for something like it in MT.

Property Taxes in Montana.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes, what a mess!!

Now that we are home owners again, property taxes will of course be on my radar. My assessment of our new neighborhood is that it's relatively stable (i.e., I don't anticipate any huge jumps in value like that), but never say never!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Prop 13 made me very reluctant to buy in California. It essentially means that new purchasers disproportionately bear the tax burden.

Ultimately, I did buy, but it was a unique and unforeseeable opportunity that pretty much came (in my judgment) with built-in profit.

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
It essentially means that new purchasers disproportionately bear the tax burden.

True, the difference being the buyer chooses to pay the tax as opposed to having their existing tax raised without recourse.

And it’s only 1% of purchase price, not 2% or 3% like some places.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We are living this. (Saw the article when it came out.) People are truly up in arms. We just had a vote on a new bond for the county's public schools and it was defeated for the very first time in history.

I am really hoping this tax revolt will result in unseating Giantfarte the governor this next election. He's been selling Montana off to the highest bidder.

We did get a tax rebate, but that only reduces the pain the first year. Our property taxes are up $1,000 a year. I forget what the percentage is, but it is high. Some people are paying 60 percent more.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21534 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened in and around Santa Fe and Taos. In that particular case, people (particularly celebrities like P*D) were moving in and driving up the cost of housing, and taxes reflected that. There were situations where people had been living in housing in Santa Fe for multiple generations, owned the properties outright, but weren't able to pay their taxes and had to sell. And then the Santa Fe trendy bubble burst....

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In our six years owning in Santa Fe (thanks, Nina Wink ), our taxes have gone up tad, but not too much. In fact, they're lower now than in 2020.

When we bought, I noticed that our taxes were higher then most of our neighbors who had more expensive properties. I guessed it was the resale effect. I protested the increase to no avail, using one of those firms that takes money only if you win the appeal. Since then, my taxes have been stable to declining. I wonder if my use of the outside firm made them cautious about raising our assessment. Who knows.

Posts: 12754 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
new mexico has some of the lowest property taxes in the country.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21534 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post