well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I may have just joined the 21st century

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I may have just joined the 21st century
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I got an advance Christmas gift of a Bluetooth gizmo that plugs into your stereo receiver and lets you play stuff from your phone into your decent speakers! I have to accompany a soprano on an audition video and I was able to find the aria on YouTube and listen to it in good fidelity! Wow!

I believe this is called “streaming.”

Now I have to learn about streaming from other sources. Certainly I need an ad-free subscription to YouTube because classical music interrupted by ads is a complete turn-off.

So much to learn. Be gentle with me.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What gizmo did you get?

As for streaming sources, I noticed that the NYPL has access to Naxos.

https://www.nypl.org/node/515720

Other sources within the NYPL:

https://libguides.nypl.org/c.php?g=1013158&p=7341866

Maybe worth looking into?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Great!

Which one did you get? Why did you choose it?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Great!

Which one did you get? Why did you choose it?

It’s the Audioengine B1. I was also considering the Auris BluMe, which is less expensive, but the B1 was on a Black Friday sale. Two audio people I know liked it.

I think they are comparable. With the state of my hearing, minuscule differences wouldn’t matter anyway. And Bluetooth sound is inferior to wired sound to begin with.

One thing that bothered me about the B1 is that it’s “always on” — but then I realized that after a certain amount of time not receiving a signal, it does turn itself off.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

When I want to hear something I cannot find another way find a Youtube video with the TV, then turn on the sound system which is connected to the TV output.
This codger is not a fan of the little screen with the tiny keys for typing.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Chas,

How do you find a YouTube video on TV without typing? Pardon my ignorance. (I am a novice.)

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking he may be using the voice search feature that YouTube implemented a couple of years ago. I haven't used it previously but just checked it out. I tried it on my Windows laptop, and assume it's pretty much the same on an Android or iPhone or Mac.

If you tap on the search icon (magnifying glass) at the top of the screen, a microphone icon pops up to the right of the search bar. It may ask you for access to you microphone, which you have to provide to make this work. Tell it what you're looking for and it will pull up some choices

https://www.youtube.com/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have used the annoying one letter at a time search system of Roku and others enough that it annoys me less than the iphone keyboard. This is using Youtube through Roku.
I could probably learn how to use bluetooth from the laptop to the TV somehow, but will try that another day.
I also use Amazon Music via Roku.
I use Roku for all my streaming so that I can stream in Colorado and Tucson without paying double.

Posts: 25704 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I am from the Bootheel of Missouri. Voice recognition does not always appreciate the accent that I cannot eliminate.
That accent is as bothersome as a tapeworn and harder to get rid of.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chas - would love to hear that accent! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Have used the annoying one letter at a time search system of Roku and others enough that it annoys me less than the iphone keyboard. This is using Youtube through Roku.

I could probably learn how to use bluetooth from the laptop to the TV somehow, but will try that another day.

The Roku app can be used on a phone or tablet. It's like having a virtual remote with some nifty features. It bluetooths to your Roku device.

If you do a search via the app, it pops up a virtual keyboard on the device. Have to admit, I find it easier to use the Roku app on my iPad than doing the one letter at a time search that shows up on the TV screen...

https://www.roku.com/mobile-app

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dude, you’re killing me.

I listen to mostly bluegrass, in the garage, maybe in the basement. I listen mostly via YouTube, sometimes Amazon music. In the basement I listen mostly via YouTube through an inexpensive soundbar with a subwoofer. I’m OK with all of it but…

But what am I missing? Should I spend $200 to improve my interface? Or are my speakers limiting enough that upgrading the interface would be a waste of time?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34946 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post