well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    You think they would have finished
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You think they would have finished
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
If you were getting ready to sell your house and your basement flooded and you had to take out wallboard, one would think you'd replace it before putting the house on the market.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Same house...

Steve, what's code on the required height for an outlet in a basement?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Same house...

Steve, what's code on the required height for an outlet in a basement?

Basements are treated like any other room and there is no minimum height requirement. You can do install them in the baseboards if you want - common when rewiring old houses with tall baseboards.

I can’t see a water mark, but if the water came up over the receptacles they must be replaced and the wire is usually replaced as well.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
As for why they didn’t complete the repairs, maybe they’re afraid it will happen again before they can sell and get out?

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Eeker

I mean, at least the buyers will go in knowing??

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18538 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've posted a house or two from this subdivision in the past. Notable because it is built around a small lake. Undesirable because it's within earshot of an interstate.

From the listing:

quote:
Don't miss this rare opportunity to own an expansive 3 bedroom, 3 bath ranch home with full basement on Lake Briarwood! Originally designed and constructed by the owner in 1974 for his wife, this coveted waterfront home is being offered for the first time.

The 1970s have called and they want their house back:

https://www.realtor.com/reales...6-70669?from=srp-map

Why is it that arched openings in really vintage homes are charming, but the ones from this era look totally bizarre?

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
As for why they didn’t complete the repairs, maybe they’re afraid it will happen again before they can sell and get out?

I thought maybe it was vacant and the sump pump failed. If the water just sat there it could get wicked up by the wallboard and ruin it. The house will need major renovations, so maybe they just decided to leave all the design decisions to the next owners.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Other than the gunsight windows on the front I think it’s a very nice house.

“Period correct,” you might say. Wink

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the water went down that driveway that slopes down from the street and the drain across the bottom wasn't adequate to intercept it. I noticed apparently new drywall at the back of the garage that had been taped but not painted. Maybe as wtg suggests, the water made its way to the basement and was then wicked up by the drywall.

There's a lot of very dated decorating choices in that house. I suspect any buyer would take that into account in an offer.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 1970s have called and they want their house back

ROTFLMAO

This:

Is giving me a headache...

Posts: 18538 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I hadn't noticed the garage walls, Big Al. Made me go back and look at the listing. I didn't pick up before that there's a 3D tour, so you can actually "walk around" the entire house, including the basement. You can pretty much see everything in the house. If you dare... Eeker

Weird floor plan all around. The other side of that garage wall is the basement. The entrance from the garage to the house is in the basement which isn't terribly desirable when you're schlepping your groceries in. Water could have come from either direction, the sump pit or down the driveway into the garage. There is a raised apron, so there would have had to have been quite a bit of water to get over that 4 inch high concrete apron. But I don't like garages like that in any event.

The furnace sits on the floor in the basement, not on blocks like most I've seen around here. House also has a standby generator. Still could have been a sump pump failure not due to a power outage.

Or, upon further reflection, the obvious possibility...a furnace failure in a vacant house during a January cold snap, resulting in a frozen water pipe in the basement. I'm guessing that's it.

If they have an open house, I'll try to pop over and then report back my findings. Cool

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That garage/driveway is a deal breaker for me for sure.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting choice for a sink in the basement bathroom.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Down an internet rabbit hole...the owner was a 93 year old woman who passed away in January. Her hubby died in 2004, daughter died in 2023 of early onset dementia.

Frowner

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
That's rough! And explains the "as-is" sale.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
After a little bit more looking, I noticed both a furnace/air conditioning unit and a boiler in the utility area. Checking the listing, I found both forced air and radiant heating. I wonder what areas have radiant heating? Perhaps the bathrooms and possibly the uncarpeted floors as well? I'm curious, just in case you go visiting.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post