well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Illinois and Chicago and COVID

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois and Chicago and COVID
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This is not going well.

Number of cases in Chicago is doubling every 12 days. State positivity is around 13 percent.

Little Village, a Hispanic community in Chicago, has positivity rates in the 60 to 70 percent range (edit: I have to double check that number. Mr wtg and I both heard it that way, but we're thinking it can't be right). edit2: The number is right but it was a positivity rate that was reached in Little Village back in May. The figures came from doctors who were treating LV residents with COVID>

Twenty-seven percent of the residents are undocumented, and forty-four percent have no insurance.

Mayor Lightfoot, Dr Allison Arwady (Chicago public health), and a host of speakers are pleading with Chicagoans to wear masks, socially distance, and avoid family gatherings. Lightfoot asked that everyone cancel their Thanksgiving plans.

quote:
Beginning on Monday, November 16, 2020, the Mayor of the City of Chicago, Lori E. Lightfoot, as well as the Commissioner of Health for the City of Chicago, Dr. Allison Arwady, advise all residents of Chicago to stay at home in response to the rapid rise of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the city. Residents are advised to only leave home to go to work or school, or for essential needs such as seeking medical care, going to the grocery store or pharmacy, picking up food, or receiving deliveries.

Additionally, residents are strongly advised to:

Not have guests in their homes unless they are essential workers (e.g., home healthcare providers or childcare workers)
Cancel traditional Thanksgiving celebrations
Avoid travel
This advisory shall remain in place for 30 days or until such time as the Commissioner of Health determines a change to the guidance is appropriate.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Oh boy...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was chatting with a neighbor yesterday when she mentioned that she and her family (hubby and two kids) were about to go into a two week quarantine. I assumed one of them had been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID, but it turns out that they want to have Thanksgiving with her parents. The only safe way to do that is for everyone to quarantine.

Simple and effective.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'm having trouble actually sorting through data from contact tracing in Chicago and Illinois.

First there's this:
The state has distributed $237 million to the local health departments to hire contact tracers and get programs up and running.

"As for outbreaks, Pritzker said data show “a pattern of formal group gatherings making up the majority of our confirmed outbreaks.”

“Again, these are the settings where it's easiest to trace the origins of someone's illness and declare a situation, a formal outbreak,” he said."

https://herald-review.com/news...94-14fa4ea90251.html

Yet the request is to stay at home except for essential things... But aren't most of the infections coming from "formal group gatherings"?

It is tough, because many people have been very careful this whole time, but so many others have not..

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post