well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's with all the micro-texts?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with all the micro-texts?
 Login/Join

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted
I have noticed a disturbing way that many people text. They send texts one sentence at a time. So you open your phone and see that you have six texts, and you open to find they are all from the same person at the same time. What could easily have been one text is six texts.

Why do I care?

Because sending six texts makes my phone buzz six times. And seeing that I have 14 texts is downright alarming because I immediately think I owe responses to 14 people, when in reality it is just two or three Micro-Texters.

Have I missed something? Is everyone doing this but me?

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Nobody I know texts that way.

Shrug

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If you text as if you're typing, you end up microtexting... every time you hit return you send a new message.

For a lot of the message apps, the option, which used to just put in a return and not send, seems to have been disabled.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing it. Very annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who can send a four paragraph text with proper sentence structure and punctuation. Razzer

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Get thee an iPhone.

It’s smart enough to only buzz only once when it get multiple messages from the same source in close succession, and the user interface does distinguish “return/new line” from “send.”

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I'm seeing it. Very annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who can send a four paragraph text with proper sentence structure and punctuation. Razzer

I’m a member of that club.

But I get micro texts all the time.

What bothers me more is a very long text with just one paragraph. Readability, people.

Posts: 45755 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
It's generational. My younger friends do it, and I'm talking ten years or so younger, not children. I think we're going to have to get used to it.

As I think about it, though, my children don't do it. So maybe it's only 40- to 50-year-olds and not the wave of the future.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get thee an iPhone.

I'll have to listen for that. I have an iPhone.

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
It's generational. My younger friends do it, and I'm talking ten years or so younger, not children. I think we're going to have to get used to it.

As I think about it, though, my children don't do it. So maybe it's only 40- to 50-year-olds and not the wave of the future.

I do it depending on what I’m talking about and the person I’m talking to. 45 here so maybe you’re right, Mary Anna. I also use punctuation and actual sentences.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROFLACGU

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:

I do it depending on what I’m talking about and the person I’m talking to. 45 here so maybe you’re right, Mary Anna. I also use punctuation and actual sentences.

I'm sure many books are being written about the rhetoric of texting and social media. I generally punctuate my texts for clarity, but will often leave off the final punctuation to show that I am not ignorant of the coolness factor

(See! I just did it in the previous paragraph!)

However, if I were microtexting, I could avoid those periods by hitting send after every sentence. I'm thinking that microtexters might be a transitional group between people of my vintage and younger people who are digital natives and thus know how to "unpunctuate" messages with multiple thoughts in them. Or maybe not...how would I know...

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I am sorry.
I will never do it again. (have not been texting with any WTFers recently.

I started doing that recently. Did not realize how annoying it can be. Thought it would make it easier to read and I wanted what I had entered gone.

Will go back to my more established vices.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25714 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it. Probably because I'm on an iPhone and so are everyone I know.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Will go back to my more established vices.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post