well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hügelkultur

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hügelkultur
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
Has anyone here done it?

I am preparing my first hügel.

I don't have any logs, per se, but a lot of chunks of tree trunks and big branches. A lot of small branches, some of which I need to cut up. And lots of dirt.

Since I am on class A/B glacial till, I'm not going to trench it; I plan to just scrape off the inch or two of topsoil and put that back onto the top.

I'm looking at about 5 feet wide, maybe 20 feet long and starting at 6 or 7 feet high. I know they will shrink a lot in height. My current brushpile -- where these branches are currently -- is about 7 feet high.

I'm looking at planting cucumbers, onions, strawberries, and maybe a few other things. Tomatoes are always hit and miss in this climate.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of this type of gardening!

https://www.almanac.com/news/g...-ultimate-raised-bed

Good luck, sounds like a good project.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We plan to do it using our long horse manure berm. Should do well for all those plants that need a longer growing season like squashes, watermelons, cucumbers

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it. Totally cool.

We'll need pics from anyone who decides to try this technique!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37959 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
it's an honest-to-god social movement in missoula.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Be careful with horse poop. IIRC, Jodi got a load of it for her garden and found that it killed everything. The broadleaf herbicides they put on the grass/hay fields pass through the horse and remain active.

I'm still moving dirt around to clear the area where I want to build my hugel. I'll take some pictures when it stops raining.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Be careful with horse poop. IIRC, Jodi got a load of it for her garden and found that it killed everything. The broadleaf herbicides they put on the grass/hay fields pass through the horse and remain active.

I'm still moving dirt around to clear the area where I want to build my hugel. I'll take some pictures when it stops raining.

Thanks for the reminder. This is my own horse poop and there aren't any herbicides in the hay I got the past three years. I'll double check with the new hay guy for this years--but that poop is piled so far down the hill I doubt we'll plant in it. Most hay in Montana is not treated with herbicides unless it is the certified weed-free hay, which is very spendy.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Assuming you’re going to feed it to livestock, why would you prefer weed free hay?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’ve trashed my garden three times now over the years with horse manure that came from horses eating grass hay that had been sprayed to kill everything but the grass. Twice from a boarding stable, and once from a private place where they sprayed their pastures for weeds. So unless you know where your hay comes from, don’t use horse manure! (Btw, activated charcoal helped me a lot dealing with it. I am actually suspecting one of the bags of purchased cow manure I used this year, it smelled uncomposted, but I used it anyway So from now on, activated charcoal gets mixed with water and poured over anything I’m not sure of.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Interesting.

Assuming you’re going to feed it to livestock, why would you prefer weed free hay?

There are weeds that get into hay that are not good for the animals. And I think a lot of the good irrigated hay here gets shipped overseas. So it probably has to be certified weed free?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Interesting.

Montana is 1/3 public lands. If you want to ride or camp on those public lands, any hay you feed while there must, by law, be certified weed free. This is to keep invasive weeds out of wild places.

If I'm headed to public lands I just pick up a bale of certified on my way there. The state has a list of certified hay growers. Or you can stop at a feed store and get it. Or you can buy certified hay cubes or pellets. They also ask you to feed only certified weed free hay for 3 days before you take livestock to public lands, but i almost never know that far ahead if I'm going out there.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Jodi I know my hay grower personally. Feel free to take all the manure you want from my place.