well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Rise of the Virtual Restaurant

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rise of the Virtual Restaurant
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
“There’s a concern that it could be a system where restaurant owners are trapped in an unstable, unsuitable business model,”

Sounds a lot like Uber itself.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My kids use Uber Eat, Doordash, etc. It's crazy. First, the food is generally not very healthy. Second, it's expensive. Third, they both live in areas where walkable restaurants abound.

Me and Mr. Nina are too smart cheap to use food delivery services. Big Grin

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
My kids use Uber Eat, Doordash, etc. It's crazy. First, the food is generally not very healthy. Second, it's expensive. Third, they both live in areas where walkable restaurants abound.

I’ve tried Caviar (delivery service) several times, and have come to this conclusion: If I want restaurant food, I should go to the restaurant and have it there. The presentation is so much better, and the food won’t have suffered from steaming itself to sogginess for 30 minutes in a box while the driver tried to figure out where I live.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Same here. I was hearing so much about the food delivery services I finally checked them out. After I added up all the fees I was like "no way".

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
There’s also another type of virtual restaurant. It’s called an “underground restaurant”. Usually it’s a wannabe chef who hosts dinners in his own house for a specific group of people who pay for the high cuisine and dining experience. These underground dining events are pop-up and unplanned in nature. The events are known only to select people and they avoid business license fees for the host.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh, it's the Uber-ization of everything! I hate it!

I've read a little bit about these delivery services. Around here, well, I imagine they exist but I've never heard of them.

Plus the whole point of restaurant food is going out to eat. Roll Eyes

quote:
“There’s a concern that it could be a system where restaurant owners are trapped in an unstable, unsuitable business model”

Ya think?

Another thing about the uber-ization of every thing, I feel like it's going to make the life style differences more and more dramatic between urban and non-urban areas.

It will be interesting to see how that develops.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18572 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
The events are known only to select people and they avoid business license fees for the host.

They also avoid health department inspections.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18572 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't think we've ever had food delivered here.

There are a few places/services that will deliver, but, if we want to eat in the house, I'm happy to go pick it up myself.

(Plus, we live across the river ... so, even though we can see the University from our front yard, people think we live in the sticks.)

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Brave new world. We are isolating ourselves in so many ways.

I trust the local pizzeria's employee delivery...it's not far away and their pizza exceptional. And the Indian place over the hill. But generally, take-out is not that great.

Remember felicitous meetings with neighbors and friends on the street, at the restaurant?

I guess you can still go to bars. Uh-oh, better not give Uber any ideas.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Wait 'til we figure out delivery by drone.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
The events are known only to select people and they avoid business license fees for the host.

I doubt my own kitchen would pass a thorough health department inspection.

Leaving

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I don't think we've ever had food delivered here.

There are a few places/services that will deliver, but, if we want to eat in the house, I'm happy to go pick it up myself.

(Plus, we live across the river ... so, even though we can see the University from our front yard, people think we live in the sticks.)
Inhate to mention this but..uh...Oklahoma, man.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post