well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Blood Pressure Advice? -Long
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood Pressure Advice? -Long
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Having lots of data is helpful when discussing things with your doctor.

I definitely second Nina’s advice re meditation.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
An update...After the cough I could not stand I took some time off the meds and my pressure was pretty good..sometimes pretty low...

Fast forward and it is up again so I have stared the new med I refused to take..I have been off meds for about a month and a half.

So far the side effects are mild, a bit of light headedness at times but nothing else, and my pressure is back to where it should be..

So I am hopeful this is the solution for now. Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good news!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I hope you have it under control. I'm glad things sound OK.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have a recommendation for a home BP monitor? I have an OMRON HEM 711 "Intellisense" I'm increasingly unsure it's giving consistent readings, though.

Is there a model many of you like?

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Best bet is to take your current unit to your next doctor's appointment and check it against their reading.

I use a manual sphygmomanometer and stethoscope.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
My new doc wants to cut my dose of hydrochlorothyazide from 25 mg to 12.5.

I’m supposed to keep a log, one reading first thing in the morning, another one hour after the new dose.

I have done nothing. I don’t have the time or will or organization for that.

Ahem.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Does anybody have a recommendation for a home BP monitor? I have an OMRON HEM 711 "Intellisense" I'm increasingly unsure it's giving consistent readings, though.

Is there a model many of you like?

I have the same one and it is very good. But like WTG mentions, best to bring it along to your Dr and have all readings done on all machines then to compare.

I did that and mine was exactly the same as what the dr got.

Also, check to be sure you have fresh batteries.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Guidelines for home monitors:

https://bloodpressureexplained...od-pressure-monitor/

https://www.health.harvard.edu...ccurate-201410297494

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Well, I skipped the meds for a couple of days. Readings today was 124/60, then after five minutes 104/55 or something.

Time to taper off, I think.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My bp was super high at my last doctor's visit. I blame covid, lack of exercise (covid-induced), work stress (covid-induced) and the fact that I had to wait for nearly an hour to be taken back to the examining room, knowing I had to get into work for an important meeting right after my appointment.

At any rate, I just ordered a home BP monitor to start tracking under more "normal" conditions and, coincidentally, I just started a round of phys therapy/exercising to help with my aching, arthritic knees so that should help as well.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
An update...I have been on Amlodipine since October and so far, so good. The first two weeks I felt tired but not much else...No swollen ankles.

I just had a check up last week and my BP is good. I have found this med keeps my BP much more stable.

Aside from a constant cough that kept me up nights, the Lisinopril also gave me more wild swings of BP sometimes way too low.

So at this point I am good, I take my 5mg every morning. I have a small pill box in my bag for days when I have forgotten to take it and I can then take it while out (and I have that AHH! moment)..I have the spares with me all the time.

I gave blood on Wednesday and my BP was spot on at the screening. That was good to see in a setting outside my own home or dr's office.

All good. ThumbsUp

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I've been on a journey. I tapered off, then went to Spain in early November and didn't bring the meds. When I got home, the BP numbers were still good. I celebrated by going on a salt bender: Potato chips, sushi dipped in soy sauce, an extra dusting of salt on everything. You get the idea.

BP went up.

So I went back to the protocol my doctor gave me: Take BP upon waking up. If it is below 125, skip the diuretic. If it is above that level, take the diuretic.

After a couple of days of the diuretic, it's been back in the green zone, so no more diuretic.

Which I guess means I need to start living a sushi-free life.