well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Semi Urgent Grammar Question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi Urgent Grammar Question
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
Which is better?

I was unhappy to find out that in 1982 my best friend started smoking cigarettes.

I was unhappy to find out that in 1982, my best friend started smoking cigarettes.

I was unhappy to find out that, in 1982, my best friend started smoking cigarettes.

The actual sentence I am wondering about is a phrase from LL#2's college application essay so I don't want to post the actual sentence for fear of getting him flagged by plagiarism checkers. But these sentences are very similar in structure and my question is whether the year needs to be separated by a comma on either one or both sides. I don't think it needs a comma at all but the English teachers at his school seem a bit comma-happy and have taught them to put commas in all kinds of places where I don't think they really need to be. Could just be newfangled english rules, I guess?

What say you, WTFers?

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
this:

quote:
I was unhappy to find out that, in 1982, my best friend started smoking cigarettes.

Or this:

I was unhappy to find out that my best friend started smoking cigarettes in 1982.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest SK's rewrite.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
The actual sentence is more complex and doesn't really work with the rewrite unfortunately. Let me have him play around to see what he can do.

So you definitely think 2 commas? That seems like a bit much to me.

ETA: Nevermind - he changed the year clause to once and it works. "I was unhappy to find out that my best friend once started smoking cigarettes."

(OK that sounds stupid but it makes much more sense in the real sentence, LOL!)

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It's in the gray area for me. First, it's a nonessential clause so it needs commas technically speaking. It's nonessential because you could remove the entire "in 1982" and the sentence would still make sense.

But the gray part comes in when you apply the other rule I've been taught: does it make sense without the commas? (I think it does).

I know you don't want to write the real sentence, but when a sentence becomes really complex I would consider options to rewrite, just on principle. There's no need to sound like Hemingway, but a complicated sentence can often be improved by rewriting it or breaking it into two sentences.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Of the three options, only number 1.

And yes, the younger generation is comma-happy.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
when a sentence becomes really complex I would consider options to rewrite, just on principle.

This. When editing my own writing, I tend to keep an eye out for longer sentences. When I find them, I arbitrarily check to see if it's more than 40 words long. If it is, I often split it in two or else just take a very critical eye to make sure it's readable.

As for sentence in your original question Lisa, yes, as written, it would be better with two commas than only one.

Posts: 18509 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I started smoking cigarettes in 1982.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I am comma-happy and I'm not young.

I would say zero or both. Both makes it slightly clearer that the BF started smoking in 1982, not that I found out in 1982. The "that" should do it, but the commas help.

My usual guideline is that if the intervening addition is five words or more, use commas. If not, don't, unless you really feel like it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
When I find them, I arbitrarily check to see if it's more than 40 words long.
I start breaking things up at 20 words. That was the guideline from the European Aircraft Manufacturers Association for writing technical material in English for non-English readers.

I've been noticing a lot of online news has been suffering run-on sentences. They put the who, what, where, and when all in one sentence. I think news editing is becoming passe.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
What Shiro Kuro said in post no. 2.

In addition, the word “that” is unnecessary in the sentence. Therefore, the sentence could also be rewritten as:
“I was unhappy to find out my best friend started smoking cigarettes in 1982.”

For non-professional writers, “that” can be an overused word. Professional writers such as journalists really watch out for unnecessary “that” words and delete them if they can.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:

In addition, the word “that” is unnecessary in the sentence. Therefore, the sentence could also be rewritten as:

For non-professional writers, “that” can be an overused word. Professional writers such as journalists really watch out for unnecessary “that” words and delete them if they can.
I use "that" at every opportunity. I find that it is a necessary feature of some European languages and maybe others for a particle to separate two phrases. (Again, I've spent the last 32 years writing for non-English speakers, so I'm stuck there.)

"I see you are walking down the street." The person with shaky English is going word-by-word, gets as far as "I see you", then has to backtrack because "walking" is an important part of what I see.

"I see that you are walking down the street." That indicates that everything that follows is a unit.

And that's that.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I was reading Moby-Dick a couple of summers ago.

It made my brain more comfortable with longer sentences.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:

I use "that" at every opportunity. I find that it is a necessary feature of some European languages and maybe others for a particle to separate two phrases. (Again, I've spent the last 32 years writing for non-English speakers, so I'm stuck there.)

"I see you are walking down the street." The person with shaky English is going word-by-word, gets as far as "I see you", then has to backtrack because "walking" is an important part of what I see.

"I see that you are walking down the street." That indicates that everything that follows is a unit.

And that's that.

+1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I was reading Moby-Dick a couple of summers ago.

It made my brain more comfortable with longer sentences.

I think longer sentences in fiction can be good, fun even, but academic (and also instructional) writing should strive for clarity, conciseness, and readability. I don't have a lot of patience for academic prose that's unnecessarily dense....