well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What is it?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
A small package came in the mail from a friend who sews. She gave me a few masks back in the summer, so when the package arrived I assumed it contained more masks.

When I opened it, I found these:

The larger one is about 18" x 21" and the two small ones are little over 4" square. The small ones are folded in an origami-ish fashion.

They're nicely sewn and I like the fabric, but I'm not sure what to do with them....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I would say a placemat and two coasters, but the quantities seem off. Why two coasters and not two placemats?

It could be a runner and two coasters, but the shape seems wrong for a runner.

Perhaps it's for making and sharing tea? The large one to go under the teapot and then coasters for the cups?

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What MA said... I'm not sure either but something to do with kitchen/serving things....

You can't really ask her, can you?

They are lovely though!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
What a lovely package!

I just googled 'sewn folded coasters' and find photos of nearly identical items.

Perhaps a small table cover to go with?

I LOVE the fabric...would love to know where she got it!

Enjoy!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
When I opened the package I thought it was going to be a couple of place mats with matching napkins. Clearly that's not what she sent.

Second guess is a tea towel with a couple of coasters for the tea cups, like MA described.

quote:
You can't really ask her, can you?

Yea, that was kind of my problem. I was going to drop her a text and say "thanks so much for the (fill in the blank)" but wasn't sure what to call it. At least now I know that tea towel and coasters isn't a totally crazy idea.

quote:
I LOVE the fabric...would love to know where she got it!

Ah! This will be how I segue away from the gift....I'll thank her for her generosity and ask her about the fabric!

She's a quilter and probably has a stash of fabrics. Maybe she'll remember where she got it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post