well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Keep Wearing Masks?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keep Wearing Masks?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Not yet

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25748 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
COVID is a little like TFG. Every time you think it's finally defeated, it manages to come back.

Our positive cases are running in the 3% range, down from the low 20 percent range not that long ago.

Despite that bit of good news, Mr wtg and I will continue wear masks for now. The next variant is potentially just around the corner. We want a little more distance between us and the last one before we drop the masks.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38037 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re the article: Makes sense.

I don't get the rush to abandon masking. I have to wonder if it's actually because of "side effect" problems ... What I mean by that is, masks need to be comfortable and not stick to your mouth when you talk. And people who wear glasses need to be able to wear masks without their glasses fogging up. I figured out these two details, which is important because I wear masks while teaching, so I'm talking a lot and I need to be able to see my students.

So I suspect that maybe it's easier for me to keep masking because I've made it tolerable. And if so, then maybe some of the people who are rushing to go maskless never got a tolerable arrangement for their masks....

Dunno. Just thinking out loud really.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18621 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’ll be masking for the foreseeable future.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33809 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’m done with masking.

Posts: 19766 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
During the pandemic when I regularly wear a mask while outside my house/car, I noticed that my seasonal colds/coughs/allergic symptoms have been significantly reduced in severity and frequency. So I figure masking helped and I am likely to continue masking for that reason. Same goes for hand washing/sanitizing.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12706 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I think I'm done with boosters fow now (this could be its own thread).

I'll wear masks. Maybe if I had been sick and had sort of natural immunity, I'd stop.

As far thinking the pandemic is over, I've never thought it was over.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
When they drop the mask mandate at school I will stop wearing one because I do feel that it has impacts on my students’ language development. Also our province has had pretty conservative rules the whole time so when they are ready to drop them I will trust it. I may wear a mask in future when we have outbreaks of illness in the school.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4102 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed that my seasonal colds/coughs/allergic symptoms have been significantly reduced in severity and frequency

I also have not had a cold, not once, since covid started.

Posts: 18621 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Likewise, although I can imagine a future, perhaps even this year, in which I choose to drop the mask.

Posts: 45781 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I wish the US federal government was taking bolder action, specifically I wish Biden had not run on having a federal government response, only to turn around 180 degrees, release on Twitter, and probably other places, a statement saying there will be no coordinated US government response, the responsibility will be with state governments.

Oh, well.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I’m done with masking.

So am I. They’ve dropped it at the university. I will wear them in a business if they request it, or if all the workers are masked, otherwise I’m maskless.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
I don’t like to brag, but any number of people have told me I’m better looking with a mask.

Posts: 10335 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about those of you (or at least in this thread, Cindy and Jodi) who are ready to/comfortable with going maskless -- iirc right, both of you already had covid? (apologies if that's too personal)

But I feel like the people I've heard of who are ready to go maskless (and are not covid deniers) are people who have already had covid.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I feel like part of what makes me so reluctant to go maskless is I've managed to avoid covid this long, I would be disappointed (to say the least) in myself if I ended up getting it in a way that masking could have prevented.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

Likewise, although I can imagine a future, perhaps even this year, in which I choose to drop the mask.

For sure me too, I just meant no immediate plans.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33809 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post