well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Steve Miller - circular saw issue

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Miller - circular saw issue
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
Cutting 2x4 pressure treated into 15" lengths. The first three cuts were fine, smooth as silk. ok the 4th cut and since, the blade guard is not retracting so the cut won't continue. Same dang board. I can manually move it easily as ever, depth adjustment is fine. Any suggestions?

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13584 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What kind of saw and how old is it? Does the wood cut easily if you retract the guard manually?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It's just an old Skil 7.25". Had it for probably 30 years, but not heavily used. I did not try that.

Actually, I jut went ahead and cut it with a hand saw. These pieces will only provide height for a planter in a planter box so the weight is not on the lip.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what would cause the guard to stick. If you take the blade off you can probably see what’s wrong.

Make sure to wash your hands well after handling that wood. The stuff they treat it with is not good for you.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Still arsenic?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Yes, and copper, chromium, and a bunch of other stuff. Different companies use different formulas.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I hope you’re not using PT for any part of the planter box.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
You mean in contact with the soil? No. The flowerboxes are pressure treated and stone sheathed. The inside is hollow with a platform so you can set a planter down in them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That planter box is sweet! ThumbsUp

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks! They go all the way to the ground. I designed the deck so it would appear it was supported by the three stone planter box columns, even though they bear no weight at all. The 2x4s I was cutting were just set inside to make the platform reach the bottom of the plastic planters. The last planters left the weight on the plastic rims which eventually warped in the sun. This will fix it for the new ones we bought.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
That looks really good! Will you be installing railings?

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No, but we do have benches between the three planter boxes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
No, but we do have benches between the three planter boxes.

That’s a good plan.

Given my advanced age and aversion to icy steps I’d install at least one handrail on the steps, but I don’t think it’s a code requirement.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have been thinking about exactly that on the far side.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Those look nice.

I have seen people build raised beds out of PT and plant veggies. Ummm… no. Concrete is said to leach bad stuff into the soil, too.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post