well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Chuck Yeager

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Chuck Yeager
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55225903

First person to fly supersonic.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
He had the right stuff, because he worked really hard to get it.

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Met Chuck Yeager once at the Nevada County Airport near Grass Valley California. I had flown in with two friends for a wedding, and when we were prepping the plane to fly back to Boulder a bit of water was found in the fuel check. So we ended up hanging around the airport for several hours getting that handled.

Just so happened that the F105 exhibit at the airport was being moved that day (due to construction I think), and Mr. Yeager came to supervise the move. My pilot friend Steve recognized him and we all introduced ourselves and chatted for a few minutes.

His personality was vivid even in our short acquaintance. I think I had already seen the movie by then, and I also went out and read his autobiography "Yeager" shortly afterwards. He was an iconic man from an iconic age and he lived an amazing life. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was an iconic man from an iconic age and he lived an amazing life.

Yes indeed.

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I saw a Yeager quote on Facebook:

"The first jet I ever saw, I shot it down."

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15514 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Not too many pilots can claim to have emerged unscathed from a fight with ME-262s.